Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at


  • Giampiero D'Agostino 8 posts 79 karma points
    Aug 02, 2019 @ 09:20
    Giampiero D'Agostino
    0

    Update to Umbraco 7.15.1 -> 8.1.1 Fails

    Hello.

    I tried to update a db from v 7.115.1 to 8.1.1 (through 4.11.10 and 7.7.13) but the update fails with the following error:

    The database failed to upgrade. ERROR: The database configuration failed with the following message: Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'versionId', table 'brandtoolboxUmb7.14.dbo.cmsPropertyData'; column does not allow nulls. UPDATE fails. The statement has been terminated. Please check log file for additional information (can be found in '/AppData/Logs/')

    enter image description here

    Does anyone know how to fix this and complete the upgrade?

    Thank you

  • Robert Godino 36 posts 125 karma points
    Aug 06, 2019 @ 10:11
    Robert Godino
    0

    I’m having a similar problem migrating database tables from v7 to v8. I believe this is a known migration issue.

    Does anyone know when there will be a fix for migration issue?

  • Steve Megson 148 posts 940 karma points MVP c-trib
    Aug 06, 2019 @ 11:42
    Steve Megson
    0

    This probably means that you have rows in cmsPropertyData where the versionId doesn't exist in cmsContentVersion.

    The migration wants to change versionId to be an integer rather than a GUID. If the GUID doesn't exist in cmsContentVersion then it has no integer ID to use for that version, and ends up trying to assign a null value.

  • Dirk De Grave 4534 posts 5980 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Nov 04, 2019 @ 10:10
    Dirk De Grave
    0

    Experiencing the same issue on a v7 > v8 migration, last answer from Steve didn't really fix it, don't have any version in cmsPropertyData that doesn't exist in cmsContentVersion. Completely blocked at migration...

    --Dirk

  • Mary 4 posts 74 karma points
    Feb 19, 2020 @ 15:03
    Mary
    0

    Did you even get the upgrade working? I have the same issue.

    {"@t":"2020-02-19T14:58:20.9163961Z","@mt":"SQL [{ContextIndex}]: {Sql}","ContextIndex":4169,"Sql":"UPDATE [cmsPropertyData] SET [textValue]=[dataNtext]","SourceContext":"Umbraco.Core.Migrations.Expressions.Execute.Expressions.ExecuteSqlStatementExpression","ProcessId":5196,"ProcessName":"w3wp","ThreadId":47,"AppDomainId":7,"AppDomainAppId":"LMW3SVC16ROOT","MachineName":"LAPTOP","Log4NetLevel":"INFO ","HttpRequestNumber":7,"HttpRequestId":"0cbf6cf0-d9fb-4b06-be1e-6b59cc385da9"}
    

    Its timing out at this line.

  • Steve Megson 148 posts 940 karma points MVP c-trib
    Feb 20, 2020 @ 09:47
    Steve Megson
    0

    There are some big speed improvements on the way for migrations, but I think they'll be in the 8.7.0 release.

    You can speed up that step by renaming the dataNtext column yourself before running the migration:

    sp_rename 'cmsPropertyData.dataNtext', 'textValue', 'COLUMN'

    If you're getting a timeout error rather than just seeing the migration stall for a long time, you'll probably also need to add a large Connection Timeout value to your connection string.

    That should get you past the current problem. You may still run into other slow-running parts of the migration. Which property editors you use can affect how much work the migrations need to do.

  • Mary 4 posts 74 karma points
    Feb 20, 2020 @ 14:21
    Mary
    0

    Thanks Steve, i got past it by doing that then got stuck again :(

    I have found doing the updates / drops myself quite useful so far, like this one which was next to get stuck -

    UPDATE cmsPropertyData SET versionId2=cmsContentVersion.id FROM cmsContentVersion INNER JOIN cmsPropertyData ON cmsContentVersion.versionId = cmsPropertyData.versionId
    

    Then I could drop the versionId column manually.

    Now im stuck on the same as this post - https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/100594-migration-from-714-to-8

    {"@t":"2020-02-20T15:00:10.4822147Z","@mt":"SQL [{ContextIndex}]: {Sql}","ContextIndex":4197,"Sql":"ALTER TABLE [cmsContentVersion] DROP COLUMN [ContentId];","SourceContext":"Umbraco.Core.Migrations.Expressions.Delete.Expressions.DeleteColumnExpression","ProcessId":8356,"ProcessName":"iisexpress","ThreadId":5,"AppDomainId":2,"AppDomainAppId":"LMW3SVC2ROOT","MachineName":"LAPTOP","Log4NetLevel":"INFO ","HttpRequestNumber":7,"HttpRequestId":"bb149359-90b8-4804-afad-25bb82cdd03f"}
    

    So i will wait to see if you's figure it out there!

    I was trying Umbraco 7.14 to 8.5.3 at first then 7.15.3 to 8.5.3 then started again with 7.15.3 to 8.1.5 (as the docs refer to 8.1x for upgrades) and 8.1 seems to get stuck less, so not sure what's best v8 to go for.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft