Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gogo Dev 30 posts 187 karma points
    Sep 16, 2021 @ 07:34
    Gogo Dev

Searchers and MediaIndexer not available in Umbraco 9 dashboard

In my Umbraco dashboard, I can neither find the searchers nor the MediaIndexer. In previous versions, namely v7, they were all there, but not anymore. Could someone please tell me how I can get them back?

Searchers and MediaIndexer missing

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

• Anders Bjerner 487 posts 2989 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 16, 2021 @ 08:00
    Anders Bjerner

Hi,

Umbraco 7 doesn't have a MediaIndex by default, so this likely comes from a third party package you may have installed. ExternalIndex contains both content and media.

Since Umbraco 8 was launched, the way you access searchers has changed a bit. In Umbraco 7, all searchers lived at a global level.

While this is still possible with custom searchers, the default searchers now instead live under the individual indexes. This means that if you click on ExternalIndex in your screenshot, the expanded view let's you search directly from the indexer - eg. as shown here:

It works the same way in the code. In order to get a reference to the searcher for the external index, you'd first have to get a reference to the IIndex for the external index, and then call it's GetSearcher method to get the searcher.

Hope that makes sense 😉

Sep 16, 2021 @ 08:07
    Gogo Dev

Well there is no GetSearcher Method for my IIndex.

IIndex Injection

GetSearcher Method

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Sep 16, 2021 @ 08:10
    Søren Kottal

I think it's TryGetSearcher

Sep 16, 2021 @ 08:12
    Gogo Dev

Aight so I only need to use ExternalIndex then?

Sep 16, 2021 @ 08:18
    Gogo Dev

So I've tried to search through both media and content, but I guess this isn't the way to do it, right?:

Indexing & Searching with TryGetIndex

Or do I need to create two different "results" variables for media and content?

Sep 24, 2021 @ 10:56
    Gogo Dev

I think I wasn't clear enough when posting the question. My real goal was to search/index through files and their contents. After some research on the internet, I found the package that would really help me out, and thus help me solve my problem. Thanks for all the replies, I'm grateful for your help!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft