Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• nickornotto 397 posts 900 karma points
    Nov 27, 2019 @ 07:51
    nickornotto

Publish very slow and crashes the website

I have two issues at the moment - both related to Publish function in Umbraco.

I have v 7.15.1 but it happened also in 7.6.0

First issue is that IContent.Publish action is very slow. I have a number of functionality which does publish content to umbraco eg. in the memebr area where memers can create their own content and products.

To perform Publish is very time consuming and I'm talking here in tens of seconds.

Is it so slow for you guys as well? Can anything be done to make it work faster?

The second issue is that performing publish in the CMS crashes the website - I think it crashes the certificate because after the publish I am logged out of the CMS and the website shows Secure Connection Failed error.

This happens only every some time, I only guess it has something to do with the server performance although the server shows no problems in this regards. We have only one, no load balanced or cloud, just a dedictaed server. We are advised to update and reboot it every month. But seriously why would it affect the secure connection if we don't?

Also why would Publish action in the CMS crash it?

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Nov 27, 2019 @ 10:21
    Ismail Mayat

How big is your site? Do you have any content events or examine events? Have a trawl through your source, also do you get same issue when running locally?

Regards

Isamil

Nov 27, 2019 @ 13:27
    nickornotto

We use examine search yes.

Running locally does not produce "Secure Connection" issues but Publish action is slow too.

Nov 27, 2019 @ 13:29
    Ismail Mayat

Its not that you are using examine, do you have actions during indexing also any actions that tap into save or publish events? They maybe doing something that slows things down?

Try publishing locally and putting some breakpoints and look at performance in visual studio see if you can see any bottle necks

Nov 27, 2019 @ 13:30
    nickornotto

I noticed such error produced today - probably on publish:

2019-11-27 13:32:28,499 [P191412/D2/TLucene Merge Thread #0] ERROR Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - Unhandled exception in AppDomain (terminating)
    Lucene.Net.Index.MergePolicy+MergeException: Exception of type 'Lucene.Net.Index.MergePolicy+MergeException' was thrown. ---> System.IO.IOException: read past EOF
       at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexWriter.HandleMergeException(Exception t, OneMerge merge)
       at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexWriter.Merge(OneMerge merge)
       at Lucene.Net.Index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.DoMerge(OneMerge merge)
       at Lucene.Net.Index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.MergeThread.Run()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Lucene.Net.Index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.HandleMergeException(Exception exc)
       at Lucene.Net.Index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.MergeThread.Run()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Nov 27, 2019 @ 13:31
    Ismail Mayat

login to backoffice and in examine dashboard look at health of index. Is it showing any errors? Could be you have corrupted index. If you do then rebuild it and then try publish

Nov 27, 2019 @ 13:37
    nickornotto

I can't even load Examine Management screen, the CMS logs me out and the site crashes. I'll delete the indexes so it should rebuild them.

Nov 27, 2019 @ 13:45
    nickornotto

It seems it helped. Thanks

We have also often such error in the logs - do you know what it can be related to?

2019-11-27 13:45:17,953 [P185452/D2/T11] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Strategies.ServerRegistrationEventHandler - Failed to update server record in database.
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Invalid object name 'umbracoLock'.
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString, Boolean isInternal, Boolean forDescribeParameterEncryption, Boolean shouldCacheForAlwaysEncrypted)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry, SqlDataReader ds, Boolean describeParameterEncryptionRequest)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
       at StackExchange.Profiling.Data.ProfiledDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() in c:\Code\github\SamSaffron\MiniProfiler\StackExchange.Profiling\Data\ProfiledDbCommand.cs:line 266
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<ExecuteNonQueryWithRetry>b__0()
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.FaultHandling.RetryPolicy.ExecuteAction[TResult](Func`1 func)
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.ExecuteNonQueryWithRetry(IDbCommand command, RetryPolicy cmdRetryPolicy, RetryPolicy conRetryPolicy)
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.ExecuteNonQueryWithRetry(IDbCommand command, RetryPolicy retryPolicy)
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.ExecuteNonQueryWithRetry(IDbCommand command)
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database.Execute(String sql, Object[] args)
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.DatabaseNodeLockExtensions.AcquireLockNodeWriteLock(UmbracoDatabase database, Int32 nodeId)
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.LockingRepository`1.WithWriteLocked(Action`1 action, Boolean autoCommit)
       at Umbraco.Core.Services.ServerRegistrationService.TouchServer(String serverAddress, String serverIdentity, TimeSpan staleTimeout)
       at Umbraco.Web.Strategies.ServerRegistrationEventHandler.TouchServerTask.PerformRun()
    ClientConnectionId:bd9f7f31-2b4d-489c-8a98-bdd660102e86
    Error Number:208,State:1,Class:16

Nov 27, 2019 @ 13:48
    Ismail Mayat

I need more info about your setup. Is it on azure? Are you load balancing? Also have you upgraded recently? I recall seeing this umbracoLock issue after an upgrade where the migration had not added this field to db table.

Looks like you did an upgrade https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/99918-invalid-object-name-umbracolock-error-in-umbraco-7 you need to chase this up

Nov 27, 2019 @ 15:15
    nickornotto

What table should it be in?

Nov 27, 2019 @ 13:51
    nickornotto

Thsi was happening even before upgrade. It's a long time issue.

I have dedicated server as per my initial post, no Azure, no Cloud, no load balancing

Jan 22, 2020 @ 17:11
    nickornotto

We've resolved umbracoLock issue but simply creating umbracoLock table which was missing in our database - probably after an upgrade to 7.6.0.

However we're still experiencing the indexes crashing and this happens even if the indexes looking healthy or are just rebuilt.

I have described the issue more here: https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/100682-unhandled-exception-in-appdomain-read-past-eof-error-in-lucene-indexing

Basically it happens when we try to publish a content, no matter via CMS or API - the index seems to crash on merge and takes the site down, showing Secure Connection Failed. This happens a few times a day. Sometimes it takes up to half an our trying to publish a content. Our users can't publish their content via API and receive 500 error all over again.

The site is becoming unusable. Is anyone able to shine a light on to what to look at?

We are running a single dedicated server on Windows Server 2016 and 7.15.1 version, however this issue already occurred before the upgrade in version 7.6.0 too.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft