Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Thompson 4 posts 24 karma points
    Sep 29, 2020 @ 13:40
    Matt Thompson

@Model.FooterDescription not set to an instance of an object

Hello,

I've been having trouble getting even just a new install of 8.7.0 Umbraco up and running. Whether I publish content manually myself, or try to publish "The Starter Kit" package out of the box, I'm getting this:

enter image description here

I obviously have a description in my footer; I tried removing the description, no luck.

So okay fine, maybe its some weird known issue. I tried removing the FooterDescription from the home.cshtml. That then gives me:

Okay... maybe its the entire footer. Remove the header as well and:

Here's where I've stopped. Like I said, this has happened on 3 clean installs, whether I use CE or a full SQL server instance. I've tried this on a Windows 10 machine and on Windows '16. I'm out of ideas here. Any help would be appreciated.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Sep 29, 2020 @ 14:42
    Amir Khan

Is it possible that Models Builder isn't enable for some reason on the install?

Sep 29, 2020 @ 17:14
    Matt Thompson

I'm not seeing that option; I don't customize the install at all, just unzip into a directory and let it do its thing...

Sep 29, 2020 @ 19:59
    Amir Khan

It looks like in later versions it may be set to false by default in the web.config: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/reference/templating/modelsbuilder/configuration

Doing a null check in your view is always a good safety check but what you're doing should be working.

Sep 29, 2020 @ 20:01
    Amir Khan

Contrary to those docs, I just downloaded the files for 8.7.0 and its set to true but maybe worth checking anyway.

• Paul Wright (suedeapple) 277 posts 704 karma points
    Sep 29, 2020 @ 15:12
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

You may want to check for "null" on the FooterCtaLink first :)

Sep 29, 2020 @ 17:16
    Matt Thompson

I've got a Cta link set, but are you saying I should be doing this in the view? I'm just dumbfounded why the out-of-the-box install blows up...

• Paul Wright (suedeapple) 277 posts 704 karma points
    Sep 29, 2020 @ 20:10
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

People "test" stuff before a release?

That's some ideal world! - Can I go there?

Incidentally have you tried removing each @Model field in the view to determine which one is actually BLOWING up the view.

I pretty certain that either the link is NULL, or there is a Typo in the View

if (Model.FooterCtaLink != null) {
    {
    }

• Kyle White 5 posts 26 karma points
    Apr 14, 2021 @ 21:39
    Kyle White

v8.12.2: I had the exact same experience... did a bunch of troubleshooting and finally came to this, very simple but in no way obvious solution. Simply publish the default Blog page.

It seems that in the starter web site, most of the pages are unpublished (note all the links are missing on the top menu when viewing in regular mode) and if you have a link to an unpublished page, you get this blowup behavior.

If you 'preview' the home page, all the unpublished links work and everything seems fine... until you try to view in regular mode.

Although not obvious by the error page, the offending line is really this one:

<a class="button button--border--light_solid" href="@Model.FooterCtalink.Url">

presumably because /blog not a valid URL yet?

I would suggest to the developers that the starter site come with all the pages published if possible. If not, then don't put any links to unpublished URLs on the home page. Or maybe put something in the documentation when it's first installed that pages need to be published in order for the Home page to work.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft