Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• rhires 1 post 31 karma points
    Oct 07, 2020 @ 12:38
    rhires

Is Umbraco even installed?

Hello - I'm taking over a project that was roughly in the middle of getting done, and because of covid...

So I need to know a few things and searches aren't getting me where I need to be.

1. Is Umbraco even installed on my target machine? How do I tell if it's even installed?

2. Do I need to install Umbraco if I have everything in source?

3. I have source code that runs on my local machine with visual studio, but when I try to deploy to the target machine, it just doesn't work, and I have no idea how to troubleshoot it. I've looked at some logs, but all I get out of that is that it's an error.

Help! Please :-)

Thanks!

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Oct 10, 2020 @ 09:40
    Marc Goodson

Hi rhires

There's 'some' documentation here about getting started with Umbraco: installing etc:

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Install/

and setting up a server to host an Umbraco site:

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Server-Setup/

but not necessarily a ton of information of how to get your site from a local development machine onto a server!

Basically Umbraco is part of your Visual Studio solution either installed via Nuget or downloaded as a zip. You should have a /umbraco folder on disk in your visual studio - this is where it 'lives' and in the /bin folder you should see lots of umbraco. dlls...

If you visit your URL with /umbraco on the end you should be prompted to login.

If your Umbraco was installed via Nuget, then 'Web Deploy' via Visual Studio should have a step to make sure the /umbraco folder is deployed to your server destination.

Umbraco stores it's content in a database, so your server will need to be able to connect to the same database server that was setup during the installation of Umbraco - it's possible to have a SqlCe db in the App_Data folder for development work, but depending on size of your site, for production you'd usually have a SQL db, or SQL Azure to store your Umbraco content.

So if the deployment part is working without error - check the files on the target machine, do you have the /Umbraco folder there?

and if you do - look at the connection string in your web.config file for the umbraco database - can your target server access that database?

then the other common issue is the server 'file permissions' are set up to allow Umbraco to edit certain files on disk, create indexes etc - there is a page here about that:

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Server-Setup/permissions

Hope that helps!

regards

Marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft