Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Genc Kastrati 86 posts 401 karma points
    Nov 16, 2020 @ 09:52
    Genc Kastrati

Microsoft SQL Azure...where does it go?

Hi all,

We just deployed our instance of Umbraco on Azure to test something and discovered that it actually created a database somewhere. We have no connection string defined for an SQL database, but looks like it has done it anyway.

Does anyone have an idea on where this is created? We are unable to locate it :D

Thank you!! Genc

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Nov 16, 2020 @ 15:57
    Amir Khan

During the install, if you don't click the option to customize the install, it will generate a SQLCE database for you, guessing this is what happened in your case.

Nov 16, 2020 @ 16:08
    Genc Kastrati

Hi Amir, I dont think that is what happened. Locally it creates an MDF file, and that same file has been uploaded to Azure too but the site is blank. I looked into the code too and umbraco.installer.js has a line where it seems to check the db:

$scope.dbs = [
            {
                name: 'Microsoft SQL Server Compact (SQL CE)',
                id: 0
            },
            {
                name: 'Microsoft SQL Server',
                id: 1
            },
            {
                name: 'Microsoft SQL Azure',
                id: 3
            },
            {
                name: 'Custom connection string',
                id: -1
            }

So this is all on Azure (i am no expert sorry). Very strange we cannot figure out where this SQL Azure is sitting. Thank you!!

Nov 16, 2020 @ 18:47
    Amir Khan

So the SQL connection string in the web.config is actually empty? You should be getting an error on the front-end of the site at least if that's the case.

Nov 17, 2020 @ 08:42
    Genc Kastrati

We figured it out. It created an SDF :D I didnt have access to see but just checked now. Guess it works with SQLCE on Azure! Thank you Amir!

Nov 17, 2020 @ 14:30
    Amir Khan

Glad you got it sorted! Just a heads up, I think its not best practice to use CE in production for sites of any scale. We've never done it but I've seen various articles about issues over the years.

Info on migrating to SQL Server here: https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/80077-please-help-convert-umbraco-sdf-database-to-sql-server-2012

Nov 17, 2020 @ 14:32
    Genc Kastrati

Indeed! Just set up a proper DB on Azure and works fine. Thank you!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft