Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew 52 posts 234 karma points
    Apr 08, 2021 @ 16:16
    Andrew

How to define a category structure

Hi,

I'm wondering how I should approach defining a category structure that can be used throughout the site.

Editors would need to be able to add categories and modify the display values per language.

Editors would then select a category while editing other content.

I'm probably missing something oblivious, could someone point me in the right direction?

Edit: I'm trying to determine how to migrate from a different CMS that has globally defined categories

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Apr 08, 2021 @ 17:18
    Amir Khan

You'd want to create a document type "Categories" then another called "Category" and allow the Category document type under Categories. Then you can create a node with the Categories document type which is essentially a folder and create Categories underneath with the Category document type. Then, on the document type where you want to choose the categories, add a Multi-node treepicker or similar to choose the categories and select that categories folder as the start node. You can create multiple Multinode datatypes and poin them at various start nodes as well. Screenshot attached of the structure and picker, in this case we're using nuPickers instead of Multi-node, but same concept. You can name your document types whatever you'd like as well.

enter image description here

• Beck 1 post 71 karma points
    Aug 09, 2023 @ 03:42
    Beck

Hi Amir,

I am new at this and have lots to learn. I have used your example shown here to set up a taxonomy for news article categories as nodes in the content tree.

I'm not sure what the next step is ie how do I retrieve the name of the nodes so I can use them to create partial views featuring cards by category?

I think if using the nuPicker models builder would have done some of that work - but I want to keep my taxonomy in the content tree so it is more easily changed by editors without have to go through devOps.

Using Umbraco 8 :)

Apr 08, 2021 @ 17:48
    Andrew

Thank you Amir, that works well.

Is there an option in the document type I should select to avoid having a link appear?

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Apr 08, 2021 @ 18:00
    Amir Khan

Unfortunately not. If you create a document type without a template it won't render content and shouldn't be indexed but you can put up some redirects to be safe like here: https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/102002-why-does-a-node-with-no-template-assigned-get-a-url

Apr 08, 2021 @ 18:01
    Andrew

Ok, Thanks again :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft