Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Bullock 13 posts 73 karma points
    Jul 27, 2021 @ 01:25
    Robert Bullock

Umbraco 8 Upgrade: Can't Login... HELP!

This is driving me nuts. I did a fresh install of Umbraco 8.15 and now I'm trying to connect to my 7.15.7 database to do the upgrade, except I can't login to authorize the upgrade! I can literally see that the passwords are exactly the same hash in both databases. I've tried logging in with the username and email address but neither work. And yes, membership providers are using legacyEncoding = true and all other settings match.

Does anyone have a clue? This has stopped my migration to v8 dead in the water and there's nothing I see that should be preventing a login.

Really need help, I'm sure someone else ran into this problem?

• Yakov Lebski 440 posts 1694 karma points
    Jul 27, 2021 @ 02:26
    Yakov Lebski

check table umbracoUser column userNoConsole value should be false

Jul 27, 2021 @ 12:25
    Robert Bullock

Yeah, it’s set to false (0). What’s interesting is it does not seem to increment the failed login counter.

• Marc Goodson 1579 posts 10545 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jul 27, 2021 @ 11:48
    Marc Goodson

Hi Robert

Did you see this issue:

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Fundamentals/Setup/Upgrading/migrating-to-v8?_ga=2.152323001.1664531814.1564385463-1412256652.1558683561#known-issues

where the recommendation is to install the ProWorks.Umbraco8.Migrations package or migrate to 8.5 as the first step?

As well as useLegacyEncoding (if this was false on your V7 site, it should stay as false for V8 for the upgrade) - do you also have the type set to be: type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.UsersMembershipProvider, Umbraco.Web" in the UsersMembershipProvider?

Do you have the Umbraco.Core.ConfigurationStatus set back to be 7.15.7 - so it's knows it needs to migrate?

Another trick would be to login to your V7 site on the same url you are using for the migration, then switch it to the V8 migration site... and see if the cookie 'keeps you logged in!' and triggers the upgrade :-P

regards

Marc

Jul 27, 2021 @ 12:31
    Robert Bullock

Yes, followed all those steps. Installed the ProWorks migrations package so I didn’t need to install 8.5 then 8.15.

What’s weird is I can see the hashed passwords are exactly the same. I can login to the 8.15 version as well. I do believe I logged in to the 8.15 version, then changed the web.config (without logging out) and I get prompted to login to authorize the plugin, so the cookie must not be there.

I’ll dig around more today. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

• Nik 1471 posts 6483 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Jul 27, 2021 @ 12:20
    Nik

I'm not sure if this will work for an Upgrade process but, if you have SMTP details set up and the email element set in the UmbracoSettings.config file set, you might be able to use the forgotten password option to reset you password.

Jul 27, 2021 @ 12:32
    Robert Bullock

I’ll give that a try. Desperate for anything. But I’m skeptical the reset process will work on an upgrade. I’d assume the users table schema has changed somewhat.

Jul 27, 2021 @ 14:11
    Robert Bullock

Well, happy to say that after setting up SMTP, I was able to reset my password and get in! But then the DB upgrade failed because I still am using some obsolete pickers. ;-/

• Nik 1471 posts 6483 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Jul 27, 2021 @ 14:13
    Nik

Pleased to hear the SMTP option worked :-)

Which pickers are obsolete?

Jul 27, 2021 @ 15:08
    Robert Bullock

Not a ton, but we were still using the old Content and Media pickers... never got around to upgrading to the new ones. I found the Skrift migrations project which is great, but not sure how it works with media types. Examples all seem to be for document types so not really clear on that yet.

• Jamie Attwood 151 posts 368 karma points c-trib
    27 days ago
    Jamie Attwood

@Robert Bullock, SMTP reset allowed you in? I have the exact same problem. Migrating from 7.15.7 to 8.15.2 and simply can not login. All providers are set correctly per the docs, Pre and post migration packages in place. The PostLogin reports:

Message":"An error has occurred.","ExceptionMessage":"No user found by id 0"

The failed logins are not incremented in the DB connection string is fine however.

Then when trying to reset the password I get:

Message":"An error has occurred.","ExceptionMessage":"UserId not found."

Very Strange. Any other suggestions?

• Jamie Attwood 151 posts 368 karma points c-trib
    26 days ago
    Jamie Attwood

Anyone else that is doing a direct upgrade from 7.15.x to 8.5.5+ and can't login, I suggest that you do a content migration from 7.15.x to 8.5.5 and then do subsequent upgrades once migrations run. I was simply not able to login to authorize the migration going directly to 8.15.2 despite having set up the user and member providers correctly, installing both the pre and post migration packages, etc.

By going to 8.5 first, no issues logging in and no issues upgrading after that.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft