Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Carlos Casalicchio 170 posts 709 karma points
    Oct 23, 2021 @ 16:51
    Carlos Casalicchio

After upgrading to v8.17 all Document Types inside Folders do not save anymore.

After upgrading from version 8.6.1, all the document types inside folders do not save and keep showing the error: "Validation: The Alias field is required."

This error does not happen for Document Types under the root (not inside folders). Is there a way to fix this?

enter image description here

And they don't even work if moved to the root enter image description here

• Frank Laumann 39 posts 303 karma points
    Oct 23, 2021 @ 19:03
    Frank Laumann

Hi Carlos

What version did you upgrade from? I can't tell you how to fix it with the information you provide, but I would try to see if I can make the error myself and then I might be able to figure out what is happening.

Best regards Frank

Oct 23, 2021 @ 19:07
    Carlos Casalicchio

Thank you Frank, version 8.6.1

Only extra plugin was uSync. I did try reverting back, moving all the sub-items to the root, but didn't make any difference after migrating.

Oct 23, 2021 @ 19:14
    Frank Laumann

And you did check the version compare on Umbraco first? https://our.umbraco.com/download/releases/compare?from=8.6.1&to=8.17.0

I see something about the examine external index might index unpublished document. Just want to check if you knew and could work around that.

Oct 23, 2021 @ 19:17
    Carlos Casalicchio

Hey Frank, it's not related. I've checked :(

Oct 23, 2021 @ 19:33
    Frank Laumann

Sorry I can't reproduce the error you are getting. What does the log say? It is usually a better help than the error message that is shown to you.

Else you can try creating a new empty project and install Umbraco8.17 and insert connection string to your database (maybe do it on a backup first) and if it works copy all the files into that project. I don't know if this is what you did to upgrade?

Oct 23, 2021 @ 19:38
    Carlos Casalicchio

To upgrade I've ran the nuget command

Install-Package UmbracoCms -Version 8.17.0

And selected not to override anything.

I'll try creating a project from scratch and connecting to the current database

Oct 23, 2021 @ 20:38
    Carlos Casalicchio

Going from scratch worked. thanks

Oct 23, 2021 @ 21:06
    Frank Laumann

I'm glad to hear that.

Best regards Frank

• Chris Ashton 57 posts 89 karma points
    Jul 18, 2022 @ 07:21
    Chris Ashton

I had a similar error when upgrading / migrating from 7.15.3 to 8.18.4 in one jump. Another thread:

https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/107470-can-no-longer-create-or-save-a-doctype-after-upgrade-to-v817-from-816)

suggests the "Validation: The Alias field is required." is related to the reintroduction of tabs.

The solution for me was to:

1. Clean
    2. Build
    3. Increment client dependency

This resolved the issue for me.

Cheers, Chris

• Eric Schrepel 161 posts 226 karma points
    Dec 13, 2022 @ 19:58
    Eric Schrepel

This still seems to be an issue in 8.18.5, especially for editing Member Types. Tried the steps in this thread (similar to above) which didn't help: https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/107470-can-no-longer-create-or-save-a-doctype-after-upgrade-to-v817-from-816 (see my note at the end).

Hoping there's an answer that will help, as we're unable to add any further Member properties at this point.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft