Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Griffiths 370 posts 1021 karma points
    Apr 12, 2022 @ 19:51
    Paul Griffiths

Umbraco 9 Local development

Hi all,

I'm really interested in knowing how people are setting up their Umbraco 9 installs locally and developing with it.

I've used Umbraco for a long time and for all my local v6, v7 and v8 installs, I have set up using the following

• Downloaded Umbraco from the Nuget feed using VS
    • Created a local DB (and user) in MSSQL
    • Created a site in IIS and added a localhost to my hosts files e.g. local.mywebsite

Using this approach allowed me to point IIS to the website root (the path containing files such as web.config, media, Umbraco, Views etc) and serve the site. When changes were made e.g. add a new razor template in the back office the root directory would update to reflect. Any custom stylesheets or other frontend resources would be added here and be served accordingly.

Even though i have limited experience with .NET 5+ (Core) I appreciate it differs from tradionitial .NET Framework but I'm struggling to understand the best practices of developing with v9 locally. Is IIS the way forward or are people using F5 in visual studio ?

After following some resources that Jon D Jones kindly released (below) I was able to get v9 running locally via IIS

However, Jamie describes some of my pain points in https://our.umbraco.com/forum/umbraco-9/107392-umbraco-v9-what-is-the-best-practice-to-develop-using-kestrel-or-iis e.g. files locking so publishes failing. One of the answers was to have kestrel running always, and attach to it when you need to debug. This allows you to work on your code, and build when needed.

In a local site, i installed with IIS I have files published to \bin\Debug\net6.0\publish so if i do run it from VS i am missing all my references to static files because I added them to the publish dir. Should this have been the root dir ?

Im just a bit confused about it all and what the recommended approach is. Can anyone advise, please? I've not even thought about project structure yet 🙈

Many thanks

Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft