Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Glenn Smith 18 posts 99 karma points
    Apr 25, 2022 @ 13:43
    Glenn Smith

Umbraco upgrade 7.7.14 to 7.8 Can't access Back Office ALL Members fail to authenticate!

I am trying to get a 7.7.6 version of a site up to version 8. I understand there is a database migration tool available if you can get to version 7.14.0. It is my intent to get to that version, use the database migration tool and upgrade to the 8 series. Trying to go direct from 7.7.6 to 7.14.0 failed with too many errors to list. I was able to upgrade incrementally One upgrade at a time without issue. When I upgraded from 7.7.14 to 7.8.0 The back office login appeared instead of the typical Umbraco upgrade image. When I tried all of the seven member accounts I have access to, all failed to authenticate. I did several of the workarounds for "forgot password" and resetting a password NONE OF THEM WORKED! I see the same member table that was present before the upgrade to 7.8 but now ALL authentication is failing. I am not even confident that I will be able to migrate the database from 7.14 to 8.0. Any ideas why I can no longer log into back office? The trace log looks fine with out issues, but it logs my failed requests 2022-04-25 09:21:15,015 [P3752/D4/T11] INFO Umbraco.Core.Security.BackOfficeSignInManager - Event Id: 0, state: Login attempt failed for username xxxxxxxx from IP address 127.0.0.1.

• ewuski 89 posts 235 karma points
    Apr 25, 2022 @ 14:06
    ewuski

Our upgrade from 7.6.0 to 7.15.1 and then 7.15.3 worked fine. Try to upgrade to 7.15.1.

Make sure the you manually bring your web.config (and other config) settings to the new version instead of letting the upgrade to overwrite it.

Also make sure your migration status is back to the version you are migrating from when you are restarting the upgrade - both in the migration table and in the web.config.

When upgrading the database to 8 you may indeed have login issues but I don't think they can be related to the problems you are experiencing now.

When upgrading to version 8 you may take a look at this thread: https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/106701-umbraco-8-upgrade-cant-login-help - in essence you need to make sure you bring your UsersMembershipProvider attributes to version 8 web.config in order to have no issues with login to authenticate the upgrade to 8.

• Glenn Smith 18 posts 99 karma points
    Apr 27, 2022 @ 12:32
    Glenn Smith

I resolved the issue preventing me from logging into BackOffice after the installation of 7.8.0 from 7.7.14. Logging revealed a missing object: umbracoUserLogin. I did a separate clean install on 7.8.0 and discovered a new database table that apparently keeps tabs on all logins (umbracoUserLogin). I added the table in my 7.7.14 database and that allowed me to authenticate BackOffice and actually apply the upgrades in Umbraco moving me to 7.8.0. Now continuing up the upgrade trail to 7.14....

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft