Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jojo V 64 posts 166 karma points
    Jul 06, 2022 @ 13:37
    Jojo V

Umbraco Forms upgrade v8 to v10

Hi,

I was upgrade my umbraco instance from v8 to v10. This working OK. Now I install Umbraco Forms and it throw this error:

Umbraco.Cms.Core.Exceptions.BootFailedException: The migration plan does not support migrating from state "7a044d6d-93ff-4534-8f19-ed2daa05451d".

Then I rename database record value in table umbracoKeyValue from record "Umbraco.Core.Upgrader.State+UmbracoForms" to "Umbraco.Core.Upgrader.State+UmbracoFormsOld". After this changed Umbraco started. But umbraco forms in backoffice throw another error:

Invalid column name 'ViewEntries'. Invalid column name 'EditEntries'.

I think its problem with migrations, maybe.

My question is simple. How to fix it? :D How to upgrade umbraco forms v8 to v10 without lost data?

Thanks.

• Jacob Buus 5 posts 75 karma points
    Aug 01, 2022 @ 19:24
    Jacob Buus

Any "real" solution to this (sorry @Jojo V :) ) I'm facing the exact same issue upgrading from an Umbraco 8 to 10 site with Forms. Everything runs really smoothly through getting the Umbraco 10 site up and running using the Umbraco 8 database. But all of the sudden the site starts throwing the BootFailedException with the "... plan does not support migrating from state...."

Very frustrating since this is the only thing holding me back from getting the site up and running :/

• Rune Grønkjær 1371 posts 3102 karma points
    Aug 26, 2022 @ 08:38
    Rune Grønkjær

Me too. Anyone found a solution?

• Jonas 5 posts 77 karma points
    Aug 26, 2022 @ 11:27
    Jonas

Having the same issue, upgrading from 8.18.4 to 10.1.0

• I have alot of data in my forms tables in the database ( UFtables )
    • If I dont have the forms packages installed I can run the website and log into umbraco backoffice with umbraco core 10.1.0.
    • I can see all my other content from the datbase like pages/nodes.

But as soon as i add the latest Umbraco.Forms package I get the same error but with a different state ID: 1d084819-84ba-4ac7-b152-2c3d167d22bc

Anyone managed to solve this?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 26, 2022 @ 13:07
    Sebastiaan Janssen

7a044d6d is the migration named AddFormsFolderConstraints and 1d084819 is AddFormsDbStorage. Both migrations seem to exist in Forms v9 but not in v10. Maybe you need to do a v9 intermediate step while upgrading? Not sure..

• Andy Butland 422 posts 2334 karma points MVP 4x hq c-trib
    Aug 26, 2022 @ 13:20
    Andy Butland

To upgrade to Forms 10 you need to be at least the latest version of Forms 8 or 9 when 10 was released (and to have Forms configured for storing form definitions in the database.

There's a bit more details about this here.

Both the migration states mentioned in this thread I can see were introduced in earlier minors of Forms 8. With Forms 10 we've collapsed the migrations (partly just to clean up, partly for issues with SQLite support needing some to be rewritten), so that's why these states aren't being recognised.

Andy

Aug 29, 2022 @ 08:49
    Jonas

Hello Andy!

The way I understand the documentation is that since I have all my forms data stored in the database already I should be able to upgrade from 8 to 10 with a sucessful migration.

Does it work for some 8 to 10 upgrades or none at all? Am I just unlucky and there is no way to get past this SQL error and only start from scratch?

I feel like I have tried everything to get v10 of forms to work with my current db forms data.

Aug 29, 2022 @ 09:01
    Andy Butland

You still need to be on at least what was the latest Forms 8 minor with Forms 10 came out, which was 8.12. So if you are attempting to migrate from an earlier version than that, you'll see an error as the migration state of your database won't be one that Forms 10 recognises.

Andy

Aug 29, 2022 @ 09:14
    Jonas

Okay thanks for the clarification!

My forms packages in the old project were a bit behind in version to do just that then. I will try to upgrade the old project and then attach that database instead.

Aug 29, 2022 @ 09:51
    Jonas

It worked! Thanks again Andy

To anyone else that didnt quite understand the documementation correctly like me, its not enough to just have a 8.xx version that stores forms data in the db.

You need atleast 8.12 on your forms package

• Mike Welch 8 posts 76 karma points
    Aug 26, 2022 @ 13:47
    Mike Welch

I have run into the same issue.

I'm trying to install Umbraco Forms on my project that was migrated from 7 to 9.5. I didn't attempt to migrate forms until now.

At this point, I'm not concerned about migrating the forms and data. I would be happy to just have forms installed and working. Is there anyway to remove the old Umbraco Forms data, so I can start clean?

Thanks,

Mike

• Jacob Buus 5 posts 75 karma points
    Aug 26, 2022 @ 13:53
    Jacob Buus

I actually took the approach to NOT migrate the Forms setup from 8 to 10 - simply because it broke my site. I simply made the Umbraco upgrade from 8 to 10 - and then just uninstalled the Umbraco Forms package. Now everything works (without Forms though).

Once your Umbraco 10 site is up and running, you shuold be able to start from scratch with Forms. However - before you add Forms again, you might need to go into the database an remove the actual Forms version left over from your Umbraco 8 site. This is what broke my site because Umbraco stated that "...plan does not support migrating from state."

But if you plan on starting completely from scratch again, then I thinks it's doable.

Aug 26, 2022 @ 14:31
    Andy Butland

Hi Mike, yes you should be good to just remove all the Forms tables - they all start with UF.

And then as Jacob says, remove the details of your previous migration state, which you can do with:

DELETE FROM umbracoKeyValue
    WHERE [key] = 'Umbraco.Core.Upgrader.State+UmbracoForms'

Andy

• Heather Floyd 604 posts 1002 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Sep 12, 2022 @ 20:58
    Heather Floyd

I just came across this issue while working on a site upgrade from latest v7 to v10...

I hadn't done any interim Umbraco Forms version updates (to 8.x or to 9.x), but since moving to v10 for the main CMS have done a lot of schema work, so I really didn't want to go back and start over, or delete existing forms data and entries.

I figured out that using SQL Management Studio, it's possible to fix the issue.

1. Run this against the DB:

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[UFUserSecurity] ADD [ViewEntries] [bit] ;

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[UFUserSecurity] ADD [EditEntries] [bit] ;

GO

2. Open the table [UFUserSecurity] for editing the records.

3. Set either "true" or "false" on the two new fields for any records present. (Save the data changes.)

4. Open the table [UFUserSecurity] in "Design" view.

5. Un-check "Allow Nulls" on the two new fields. Save the changes.

• Michael Voysey 2 posts 73 karma points
    Sep 22, 2022 @ 08:04
    Michael Voysey

This worked for me, in umbraco 10 the forms editor now loads

I modified your SQL so it is possible to do in two steps:

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[UFUserSecurity] ADD [ViewEntries] [bit] NOT NULL DEFAULT 0;
    ALTER TABLE [dbo].[UFUserSecurity] ADD [EditEntries] [bit] NOT NULL DEFAULT 0;
    GO

If you don't care who views or can edit entries then set the default to 1 otherwise you can start updating the row per user id with the UPDATE

• Björn Norlén 6 posts 76 karma points
    Jun 21, 2023 @ 06:13
    Björn Norlén

We also had this problem. We tried adding the columns ViewEntries and EditEntries to the UFUserSecurity table and we got another other error, something about the folderkey column. We noticed however that our forms version in the Umbraco 8 project was a bit low (8.6.2) while the Umbraco version was much higher (8.18.5) so we upgraded forms to the latest version (currently 8.13.9 for Umbraco 8).

When running the Umbraco 8 project the form submissions was presented in a weird format but we didn't care for that since we were moving to Umbraco 10. We then changed the connection string in our Umbraco 10 project and installed the latest version of forms (currently 10.4.0 for Umbraco 10) and it worked like a charm. The form submissions also looked correct in the Umbraco 10 project.

• Jane Carol 22 posts 92 karma points
    Feb 20, 2024 @ 20:19
    Jane Carol

But how to get the forms created in the version 7 in version 12. With lot of effort migrated from 7 to 12. So cant go back again. Anyway to get the forms already created. Entered data in the Forms are there in the database. Please help. In umbraco version 12 i installed Forms ver 12 and applied the existing license too. It shows the button to create new forms. But i really want all the forms which are already created in umbraco version 7.

Feb 21, 2024 @ 05:57
    Andy Butland

I think the problem you have run into is that in Forms 7 form definitions were stored on disk. But in Forms 9 onwards, they are stored in the database.

In Forms 8 you had the option to do both.

At this point I think the easiest way would be to - in another copy of your website - upgrade again or restore from what you did before the point where you had the website running under Umbraco 8. Then you can configure to store form definitions in the database

After that you should find your form definitions in the Umbraco Forms database tables - UFForms etc.

You could then continue the migration.

Or, if you otherwise have an Umbraco 12 site running that you are happy with, you could query the database tables to copy the data over into your already migrated Umbraco database.

Hope that helps.

Andy

Feb 21, 2024 @ 11:09
    Jane Carol

Thanks Andy.

Tried what you said. In the version 8 solution copied the UmbracoForms/Data folder and installed umbraco forms 8 and included the below code too

The data folder have all the forms as json files.

But if i run the solution and open the Forms tab, the Forms menu is empty it just shows 'Create a form' the previous forms are not there. The UFForms table and related tables are not there, Only UFRecords related tables are there with previous entries entered in those forms.

What am I missing? Please clarify.

Feb 21, 2024 @ 11:23
    Andy Butland

It sounds like you don't have the migration run that creates these tables and imports the data.

There's a process described here for Forms 8 that should do this for you.

Feb 21, 2024 @ 18:02
    Jane Carol

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Did that process, but still no luck.

In the first migrated solution from 7.12 to 7.14 I can see the forms but in umbraco 7.14 when i upgrade the umbraco forms from 4.4 to 6 the previous forms created are not coming even though all the json files exists under the data folder.

It seems when the Umbraco forms version is upgraded it couldn't bind the previous version forms.

Feb 22, 2024 @ 05:37
    Andy Butland

Unfortunately 4.6 to 6 is a migration between two very old versions - well before my time of working with the product.

On those versions all form definitions were stored in files - there was no option for storing in the database.

I do see on this page a note that the migration should Move JSON Form Storage files from App_Plugins/UmbracoForms/Data to App_Data/UmbracoForms/Data by default unless a custom Forms IFileSystem is configured such as Azure blob storage - so maybe you can check those paths?

Andy

Feb 23, 2024 @ 07:23
    Jane Carol

Thanks Andy. After installing the new umbraco forms version there is an option to import the previous version json files. It helped.

Feb 21, 2024 @ 19:36
    Jane Carol

There is an Import option in the Forms tab to import json files. :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft