Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alin Răuțoiu 27 posts 125 karma points
    Aug 09, 2022 @ 15:43
    Alin Răuțoiu

Examine doesn't search in documents with unpublished language variants

I am building a multi-language website. If I create a document with only one language version, the ExternalIndex retrieves it. But if I create a language variant, then unpublish it, ExternalIndex treats the whole document as unpublished.

Can I setup Examine so that it retrieves documents if they have at least one language variant published? Alternatively, can I delete a language variant, not only unpublish it?

• Per Bolmstedt 84 posts 380 karma points
    Sep 28, 2022 @ 11:07
    Per Bolmstedt

I'm wondering this as well.

The same applies when you create a new document and only publish it to some languages; it won't appear in the External Index.

We're using the External Index for external (i.e. end-user front-end) search, but this behavior creates some headaches. So we'd like to configure the indexer to include documents anyway, if possible.

It looks like it might be possible, e.g. by creating a value set validator that doesn't care which languages are published: https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Reference/Searching/Examine/Indexing/#changing-ivaluesetvalidator

EDIT: I did some quick testing with a custom ValueSetValidator and this looks indeed easy to change.

There's some more information here but essentially, the default ContentValueSetValidator tells Examine to "filter out" documents that vary by culture and aren't published in all cultures. So this is the change that needs to be made to the custom value set validator.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft