Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Meni 247 posts 483 karma points
    Jan 16, 2023 @ 22:56
    Meni

Error while try to migrate website from V7.15.7 to V8.1

Hi, I try to migrate my website from V7.15.7 to V8.1

I downloaded V8.1, unzipped, then copied the /bin and /Umbraco folders to my hosting using ftp

When I go to mywebsite/umbraco to start the wizard I got the following error:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Core' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Core' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

So I also copied the web.config (and made sure to put my connection string , as well update:

<add key="Umbraco.Core.ConfigurationStatus" value="7.15.7" />

and now I'm getting the following error:

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase' from assembly 'Umbraco.Core, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Source Error:

Line 1:  <%@ Application Inherits="Umbraco.Web.UmbracoApplication" Language="C#" %>

What do I do wrong?

How can I migrate from V7 to V8?

I was followed the documentations but still getting the error.

My website is unavailable now.

Thanks

• Johan Reitsma 67 posts 233 karma points
    Jan 17, 2023 @ 10:50
    Johan Reitsma

The easiest solution is to create a new project based on v8 (latest) and change connnectionstring to the old v7 database. Do this locally and not online.

our approach for migrating is: 1. copy connection string from v7 2. create new project (visual studio) and install umbraco v8 3. set connection string to v7 4. migrate by running in IIS Express

Then go further to v9, 10 or 11.

• Meni 247 posts 483 karma points
    Jan 18, 2023 @ 00:02
    Meni

Hi, thanks. I tried to use VS, didn't really work. Also, how do you deploy after install locally? I didn't set a CI/CD process, and I'm not using gitlab or any runner. it's my personal website that I develop and run by myself. So I rather do it through the regular process with the ftp

Here's my question: I didn't understand - when migrating from 7.x to 8.x - can I just do the regular update of copy /bin and /umbraco or I must spin up a new fresh empty 8.x website, then recreate the views?? it's little confusing.

• Angel 50 posts 106 karma points
    Apr 14, 2023 @ 15:27
    Angel

I, personally, spin up a brand new instance of v8 and then I copy over views, css, scripts etc to the new site. Which has worked many times for me.

However, I am having the same problem that you are having now - with the same error when I try to load up the site.

Could not load type 'Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase' from assembly 'Umbraco.Core, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Has anyone seen this or can help after a v 7.15.7 upgrade to 8.18.7 ?

• danimarpe 6 posts 96 karma points
    Oct 06, 2023 @ 19:26
    danimarpe

I'm having the exact same error updating to 8.18.6. Did you manage to solve this?

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14324 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Apr 17, 2023 @ 07:36
    Marc Goodson

Hi Angel

Is it an issue with .NET Framework version - I remember similar issue being reported when people first started using V8 a while back, aha, there is a forum post here

https://our.umbraco.com/forum/umbraco-8/95934-fresh-install-of-umbraco-8-in-vs2017#comment-303447

and

https://our.umbraco.com/forum/umbraco-8/95969-installing-v800

So this might be what is also troubling yourself ?

regards

Marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft