Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Nielsen 159 posts 257 karma points
    May 18, 2023 @ 12:30
    Peter Nielsen

PostAddFile returns 504 after a while

Hello

I have a strange error. I have deployed Umbraco 11.3.1 to a Linux server with Dokku (herokuish) and Docker. I have set up a volume for the /umbraco/Data and the /media directories. In the beginning, it works as planned but after hours of usage, the /umbraco/backoffice/umbracoapi/media/PostAddFile endpoint fails with a 504. The upload bar runs as it usually do, but when it reach 100% and after a minute or so, this weird HTML error appears.

If I redeploy the Docker container it works again until it doesn't.

enter image description here enter image description here

That is a Nginx error as far as I know.

enter image description here

In my nginx error log, I see this:

2023/05/18 11:53:48 [error] 8165#8165: *30932 upstream timed out (110: Unknown error) while reading response header from upstream, client: 93.165.xxx.xxx, server: mydomain.dk, request: "POST /umbraco/backoffice/umbracoapi/media/PostAddFile HTTP/2.0", upstream: "http://172.17.0.2:4000/umbraco/backoffice/umbracoapi/media/PostAddFile", host: "mydomain.dk", referrer: "https://mydomain.dk/umbraco"

I can't figure out if this is a docker, Umbraco, or an nginx error. Please help me in the right direction, or where/how to debug :)

/Peter

• Darren Clark 52 posts 249 karma points
    May 26, 2023 @ 12:22
    Darren Clark

Hey Peter,

I am seeing a similar issue with Umbraco 11.1 within my staging environment in Azure and using storage account for media.

The issue goes away after a site restart and deployment , but then comes back after a few days. However some editors can still upload media while others cannot.

The umbraco log shows nothing. I have application insights logging on the web app in staging and nothing is showing up relating to postaddfile.

Looks related to semaphore not releasing properly, maybe.

I see there is a PR for partially resolving this, hopefully get released soon.

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/pull/14269/

Darren

May 31, 2023 @ 20:09
    Peter Nielsen

Hello Darren

Thank you for replying. I was losing hope of anybody else than me had the problem 😅

I'm having trouble understanding the versions and flow of the releases. I can see that the PR was merged 5 days ago - the same day you replyed. And I can see that the same day was the day that version 11.4.0 was released. But on the changelog site: https://our.umbraco.com/download/releases/1140 I can't find the Adding logging and make sure PostAddFile always releases the file semaphore PR. So was it just forgotten in the release description, or is it coming in a future release you think? :)

/P

Jun 08, 2023 @ 09:24
    Peter Nielsen

But after update I don't get the error anymore :D

• Gabor Ferencz 36 posts 167 karma points
    Aug 18, 2023 @ 06:43
    Gabor Ferencz

Interestingly I still get this error in 11.4.4. Anyone else?

• Darren Clark 52 posts 249 karma points
    Aug 18, 2023 @ 11:20
    Darren Clark

The problem still seems to exist. I looked at the PR , not sure which release it will come out in. Maybe v12.x

Looking at the PR , it does not fix the issue just handles errors and disposing of objects that are causing the issue.

• Jesper Ordrup 1019 posts 1528 karma points MVP
    Aug 21, 2023 @ 09:22
    Jesper Ordrup

In a v11.4.0 we have just experienced a similar behavior. We can crash Umbraco/Nginx by doing the following:

1. Open media folder with tons of images in grid view.
    2. Scroll down fast

At some point Umbraco/NgInx gives up and stops rendering thumbnails. Instead it throws 502 errors and finally we get the blue screen of death. See below.

We just tested and in parallel followed the cpu on server. It spiked just before the 502 errors.

• Jesper Ordrup 1019 posts 1528 karma points MVP
    Aug 21, 2023 @ 13:07
    Jesper Ordrup

In a v11.4.0 we have just experienced a similar behavior. We can crash Umbraco/Nginx by doing the following:

1. Open media folder with tons of images in grid view.
    2. Scroll down fast

At some point Umbraco/NgInx gives up and stops rendering thumbnails. Instead it throws 502 errors and finally we get the blue screen of death. See below.

We just tested and in parallel followed the cpu on server. It spiked just before the 502 errors.

Update: I just found the logs reports out of memory. We're running Umbraco on a Ubuntu vps with 4gb mem in a docker setup.

Apparently we have too little mem but I would think that 4gb for an Umbraco in a headless setup would be more than sufficient?

• Chris Spanellis 45 posts 189 karma points
    Oct 03, 2023 @ 00:23
    Chris Spanellis

I am also experiencing this on 11.2.0. Any updates on a resolution?

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft