Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Wilson 8 posts 78 karma points
    Apr 18, 2018 @ 15:37
    Paul Wilson

Umbraco Upgrade Never Updates Database

I am upgrading Umbraco from 7.1.4 to 7.10.3. I have installed the latest files and made the config file changes. And I see the login screen when I try to browse the site. But I cannot login and looking at the logs shows it is failing because database objects have not been created. There is no umbracoMigration table since I am upgrading from 7.1.4, and my web.config does still say that is the version I am on. Everything I read says that should cause database changes to be ran, but they never ever do! I also see errors about the umbracoUser2UserGroup table missing when I try to login. Same problem since the database has never been updated.

So how do I get these database updates to actually happen?

• Owain Williams 479 posts 1410 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 19, 2018 @ 09:25
    Apr 19, 2018 @ 12:35
    Paul Wilson

No, as noted in the original post, my web.config does have that original version of Umbraco still in it. That is NOT triggering the upgrade!

• Owain Williams 479 posts 1410 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 19, 2018 @ 12:39
    Owain Williams

Ok, sorry. But have you tried changing the version number anyway to see if the database upgrade kicks in?

Apr 19, 2018 @ 13:10
    Paul Wilson

Yes. Many times. There has to be another way to trigger the database upgrade than just this one thing since I see many posts about this same thing - but never any other answers posted!

• Dave 15 posts 89 karma points
    Apr 19, 2018 @ 13:18
    Dave

Hey Paul,

How have you installed umbraco initially? Is it a Nuget package in a solution or a manual install?

Apr 19, 2018 @ 13:24
    Paul Wilson

I'm not sure since it predated me. I have tried to update it manually first. That results in the login screen after cleaning up a few errors. But I can't login and looking at the logs shows it is looking for database objects that do not exist because it never runs those scripts.

Now I have also copied the site locally and tried with nuget and visual studio. That also had tons of errors that I had to cleanup first, and now I get to a redirect from a specific port back to localhost and thus it gets stuck and never completes either.

Searching google shows many many people posting the same issues, so at least I believe I'm not alone. But I don't see any solutions. Surely there must be a way to run database scripts! What happened to the days when those were actually provided to you!

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 19, 2018 @ 13:24
    Paul Seal

Hi Paul Have a read of this blog post for a safe strategy for upgrading umbraco. I had similar issues when trying to jump from an old version to a latest version. I found best results when taking it in stages. And I also found it is best to log into umbraco first before starting the upgrade.

https://codeshare.co.uk/blog/how-to-upgrade-umbraco-safely/

Cheers

Paul

Apr 19, 2018 @ 15:04
    Paul Wilson

I decided to try the incremental approach. I started with 7.1.4 and went to 7.2.0, then 7.2.8. Now I'm trying to go to 7.3.8. Its back to that same problem now. It doesn't see the umbracoMigration table and fails. Of course it doesn't see it because it needs to create it, but never does. I even found the schema and created it myself. It seems happy enough then, in the sense that there are no errors, but it still doesn't do anything. So I'm still stuck on the install redirect screen.

So I'm back to asking how does one actually trigger an upgrade to actually happen!

Apr 19, 2018 @ 15:09
    Paul Wilson

And:

Invalid column name 'securityStampToken'. Invalid column name 'lastLoginDate'.

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 19, 2018 @ 16:57
    Nik

Hi Paul,

I had all sorts of issues updating 7.2.8 sites. The only way that worked reliably was to do incremental steps to 7.3, then I would go 7.3.0 -> 7.3.final (can't remember what the final patch number was), then 7.4.0, after that, just out of habit I would go to the final patch version of each minor version. So 7.4.0 - 7.4.final, then 7.5.0 to 7.5.final, repeated up to the latest.

It's also massively important to read the version-specific upgrade notes carefully. I missed things by skimming them and it caused problems on some upgrades.

Nik

Apr 19, 2018 @ 17:33
    Paul Wilson

I have made it to 7.4.3 so far. The trick was to get past the database issue where the upgrade was never happening. I found that I needed to remove a custom dll from the bin and then it would work. After that I can put it back and there is no problem with it running. But its mere presence keeps the upgrade of the database from happening and gives no useful information. I have not seen this type of thing mentioned anywhere, and I see many many people reporting the same problems. The amount of manual fixing you have to do with every upgrade is also a monstrosity. This was why I was hoping to avoid the incremental approach, but give me a few days of manual work ...

Thanks for the help!

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 19, 2018 @ 17:38
    Nik

Hi Paul,

Personally, since around version 7.4, I've found the upgrades much easier and generally more reliable. I've not seen a custom DLL causing issues like that before but I guess it depends what that Custom DLL is doing. Good to hear you've got it working now!

Nik

• Dave 15 posts 89 karma points
    Apr 19, 2018 @ 13:36
    Dave

Hey Paul,

So I was in a similar position lately.

Honestly, you're probably going to hate this answer. But... it's what I ended up having to do.

BACK EVERYTHING UP

Create a new solution with a .net mvc project and install the latest version of umbraco. update the connection string to be whatever your problem Umbracos connection string is. hit the back office and the upgrade should start.

If the upgrade goes through ok, then start importing everything else (views, controllers, other packages) and sew everything back together.

If the upgrade doesn't go through ok, then... well get back to me then

• Edgar Rasquin 326 posts 925 karma points
    Jan 21, 2022 @ 10:58
    Edgar Rasquin

Hi Dave,

thank you so much. Saved me!

Have a great day. Edgar

• ibrahim TUNC 54 posts 132 karma points
    Aug 04, 2022 @ 07:27
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft