Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Darryl 31 posts 112 karma points
    Jul 30, 2018 @ 14:43
    Darryl

Can't Reset Admin Password in Umbraco 7

I am trying to reset the main admin password for a late umbraco 7 site (not sure what exact version as I cant get in).

I have followed this method which didnt work:

Method 1

Then I tried this, and it doesnt work either, because when you try and load the page with the passwordFormat in the web config to clear the site falls over. I've even tried saving the web config file and not refreshing and trying to login with U: admin, P: default and still I can't login.

Method 2

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 30, 2018 @ 21:01
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Darryl

Perhaps you can make use of the build in "password reset" option by following the steps mentioned by Oriol in this post? https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using/ui-questions/4790-ouch-forgot-admin-password-how-to-reset#comment-289108

Also make sure to read the answer here if following Oriols instructions don't work alone https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using/ui-questions/4790-ouch-forgot-admin-password-how-to-reset#comment-293248

This should create an e-mail file on your local harddrive where you can click the reset link and then have a new password created if I'm not mistaken.

Hope this helps!

/Jan

Jul 31, 2018 @ 08:04
    Darryl

Thanks Jan,

I'll give that a try. I'm just in the process of copying and pasting in the mailSettings and membership into the web config, to see if I can get Umbraco to generate the email file so I can reset the link.

One question before I go ahead with this... Do I paste in the original code for the membership in the web config once the password has been reset, as its quite a bit different from the original code. Specifically, I noticed the passwordFormat is set to Clear, but surely this needs to be set back to Hashed?

Jul 31, 2018 @ 08:08
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Darryl

Yes I would change the settings back once the password reset mail link has been retrieved indeed.

Hope this works!

/Jan

Jul 31, 2018 @ 09:02
    Darryl

Thanks again Jan,

Yes, I'll will try this soon and let you know how I get on...

I hope my fettling to the User DB in SSMS has not broken anything, because as it stands, I have an unhashed password in the DB, so I am hoping this process will overwrite the current U: admin, P: default and then hash it once I paste the original membership code in the web config without any issues.

Jul 31, 2018 @ 09:55
    Darryl

Sadly, this doesn't work...

Even without the code changes to the web config, I'm getting this error:

Umbraco Error

But this may be something to do with the current password of default not being hashed? Also, the email I am using is 100% present in the database in SSMS.

Jul 31, 2018 @ 18:10
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Darryl

Sorry to hear that - I'm afraid that I'm currently all out of ideas on how to solve the issue then :-/

I suppose you have double checked the e-mail in the database already?

/Jan

• Nittin 4 posts 73 karma points
    Aug 01, 2018 @ 04:53
    Nittin

Hi Darryl! Just had the same challenge last week.

Here are a few steps which I followed which worked for me

Download SDF Viewer (https://sdf-viewer.soft112.com/)

Then open your database with SDF Viewer (-/App_Data/Umbraco.sdf)

Find the table UmbracoUser

Update the table with the following query :

UPDATE umbracoUser set userdisabled=0, userLogin='admin', userPassword='rboj46J1NSyvbZ5c7UI/5+m+Pcc=' where id=0

Your new password will be 'default'

Then Rebuild your solution if you are in local

It should work normally

Nittin

Aug 01, 2018 @ 07:37
    Darryl

Thanks Nittin,

I did wonder if there was a way of hashing a password, so it could be stored straight into the database. I have actually successfully run the query in SSMS and changed it to a hashed default.

I think to be honest, all of the fixes above are indeed valid, but I think there is something serious wrong with the two websites I've been given to reset the admin password, as Umbraco is not recognizing any of the registered emails in the database and is returning a stacktrace error (see picture).

Umbraco Stacktrace Error

These two websites are running from an external development server, so I have tried recycling the app pool, etc. and they are still acting oddly. Unless there is something I am missing? Do you think I need to redeploy these two sites to force them to do a rebuild?

• Nittin 4 posts 73 karma points
    Aug 01, 2018 @ 10:41
    Nittin

Have you tried to run the query and change the 'userLogin' to another email address?

UPDATE umbracoUser set userdisabled=0, userLogin='newEmailaddress', userPassword='rboj46J1NSyvbZ5c7UI/5+m+Pcc=' where id=0

Nittin

Aug 01, 2018 @ 11:21
    Darryl

Hi Nittin,

Yes, I've tried changing the userLogin to another email and it still fails to log me in. It just doesn't seem to acknowledge any of the entries in the dbo.umbracoUser table.

• Sowndar M 50 posts 124 karma points
    Jan 16, 2019 @ 10:59
    Sowndar M

Is there any Update on this facing the same issue

• Marcio Goularte 374 posts 1346 karma points
    Jan 16, 2019 @ 13:32
    Marcio Goularte

try this:

Reset the user admin

UPDATE umbracoUser set userdisabled=0, userLogin='admin', userPassword='bnWxWyFdCueCcKrqniYK9iAS+7E=' where id=0

password default

• Frans de Jong 548 posts 1840 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jan 16, 2019 @ 13:36
  • Naveen 1 post 71 karma points
    Feb 26, 2019 @ 14:25
    Naveen

How do you reset it using this? I tried and it takes me to this page below enter image description here

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft