Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Richard 2 posts 72 karma points
    Aug 06, 2018 @ 06:31
    Richard

Hello Before I ask newbie questions that I can likely find through documentation as well as this forum, I would like to know if I actually am in a position to make changes to my site. I had a development company create a new single-page site using Umbraco CMS. For costs sake, they have made one single page in the understanding that there would be other pages created as it grew. I would like to be somewhat self-sufficient and learn to do content editing myself, but I just wanted to see whether the webdev gave me access to the tools to achieve this:

https://imgur.com/a/LRjYYbo

I ask this because watching a tutorial video, I noticed my layout was limited in comparison to the tutorial layout. Do I have the tools to create page 2?

Richard

• Marc Goodson 2128 posts 14220 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Aug 06, 2018 @ 07:11
    Marc Goodson

Hi Richard

From the screenshot, it looks like you have access to the Content, Media and Forms sections of Umbraco.

This would allow you as an editor to create new pages (based on predefined types by the developer), upload images/files and also create 'Umbraco Forms' to embed into your content pages.

So if that's all you need to do your good to go.

If you need to create new 'types' of pages, or create and/or update the html of the page templates, you would also need access to the Settings section.

Similarly, if your site has Macros, you might need to update, or if you want control over installing packages, then you'd need the Developer section too.

There is a list of sections available in Umbraco within the documentation:

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Backoffice/Sections/

regards

Marc

• Laurent Lequenne 122 posts 247 karma points
    Aug 06, 2018 @ 07:14
    Laurent Lequenne

I guess you are ready to break it all ... But it's a good start to learn :-)

• Richard 2 posts 72 karma points
    Aug 07, 2018 @ 00:45
    Richard

I really hope I don't break anything! May I be directed to a tutorial or document which gives me the best chance of creating a page 2?

• MuirisOG 382 posts 1284 karma points
    Aug 07, 2018 @ 15:16
    MuirisOG

Richard

it's always a good idea to have a test site so you can break things there.

Check with your development company to see if you have such a site.

If they haven't set one up, you could try setting up your own Umbraco test site and playing around with it - it shouldn't matter if you break that version.

Regards

Muiris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft