Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Josip 195 posts 662 karma points c-trib
    Aug 30, 2018 @ 14:15
    Josip

Umbraco Instal, publish, database etc.

Hello, I am new to umbraco and i have some questions... What is the best and easiest way to instal umbraco? Should i install umbraco every time when i want to create new project and do i need database for every umbraco project even if it will be only static website? When i finish my project how can i upload it on shared server, visual studio? If yes, do i have some other options, what is the best way to do that...

I have tried DNN CMS and now i want to try umbraco so i can decide which one is better for me or maybe i can use both.

So if someone can tell me which one is better for fast static websites and which one is better for custom applications.

I have read some posts and watched some videos but more i read i have bigger mess in my head.

• Jamie Pollock 174 posts 853 karma points c-trib
    Aug 30, 2018 @ 14:40
    Jamie Pollock

Hey Josip,
    Firstly Umbraco has some great documentation how to get started.

I recommend looking at the Install page. Personally I prefer the NuGet install method but the method outlined on the Install page works perfectly fine.

Each Umbraco instance is its own application. So for each individual web application you create you'll need to install Umbraco again for that web application. While you can have multiple domains pointing to a single Umbraco instance this is only recommended if they share a common code base. If they're entirely different websites then you should create different Umbraco instances.

As for Databases. Each Umbraco instance requires its own database. While the install wizard will give you a SQL Compact Edition (CE) to play with this database is not suitable for production. So a SQL Server database is recommended.

As for deployment this can be as simply as build locally and FTP / Copy & Paste to your server of choice, deploy via Visual Studio Publishing or as complex as hooking up a build in a continuous integration/deployment tool of your choice like VSTS or Jenkins. There are really no limits to how you can deploy an Umbraco app. It's essentially a layer on top of a .net web application.

As for "static" sites. I'm going to assume you mean simple data retrieval from the CMS rather than actual static HTML pages. Umbraco is built to retrieve content quickly. I don't have benchmarks for how it compares to other CMSs but I can tell you it is used by 1000s of developers all over the world and they're usually very happy with how it performs.

Sadly I've not used DNN so I can't compare the two.

I'd recommend installing Umbraco locally and on the install wizard select the starter kit. This will give you an idea of how to build an Umbraco site. As it comes with content pre installed. If you're really to make something yourself create a new Umbraco instance and run the install again and don't select a starter kit. This will give you a completely blank slate to work with.

I hope this helped. Happy Umbracoing!

Jamie

• Josip 195 posts 662 karma points c-trib
    Aug 30, 2018 @ 15:26
    Josip

Thank you verry much Jamie for this fast and detail answer, it solve many my problems.

So if I just copy and paste files to my server i will be able use CMS and make changes, well that is great because with DNN i must install it manualy.

I have tried umbraco in web browser and now i will try install it with nuget.

If someone can give me some pros and cons for umbraco and DNN i would be greatful.

• Jamie Pollock 174 posts 853 karma points c-trib
    Aug 30, 2018 @ 15:54
    Jamie Pollock

While it's possible to make code changes on your server. It's better practice to make those changes locally and deploy them to your server.

However things like document types and content will not automatically migrate from your local environment to your server environment. Unless you're using the same database between environments.

Using the same database between environments can becoming troublesome if you're working with multiple people though. It's best practice to not do this.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft