Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sonja 133 posts 621 karma points
    Oct 08, 2018 @ 12:06
    Sonja

Hi,

Is it possible to do a plugin with MVC instead of Angular? If it is please tell me how to do it, maybe some tutorial or example.

Thanks

• Mats Stam 61 posts 210 karma points
    Oct 08, 2018 @ 12:39
    Mats Stam

What exactly do you mean by plugin? Are you talking about a custom property? Or what kind of plugin are you talking about?

If it's a property, I don't think there is. But there are some easy guides to follow to create one using Angular.

Perhaps describe what you want to do, and we can point you in the right direction? =)

Oct 08, 2018 @ 12:43
    Sonja

plugin is something that is in App_plugins and can be installed with zip. I want to avoid angular.

Oct 08, 2018 @ 12:48
    Mats Stam

Then no, I don't think it's possible. And as far as I know you can only use App_Plugins-folder to have custom properties.

If it is possible, it's not something I would recommend.

Still not sure what you are trying to do, but I believe the answer is no :(

• Nik 1591 posts 7148 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Oct 08, 2018 @ 13:32
    Nik

Hi Sonja,

The back office of Umbraco is built in Angular, as a result I won't be possible to customise it without using Angular, even if that Angular is loading in MVC views (I wouldn't recommend trying to do that).

Can I ask why you don't want to use angular?

Thanks,

Nik

Oct 09, 2018 @ 05:54
    Sonja

Hi Nik,

Because my speciality is .Net, I've been using it for 17 years and it would be foolish for somebody with that much experience now to start learning angular. We can't learn everything and know everything all the time, we should better specialize in some things ant that is .Net for me

Oct 09, 2018 @ 06:54
    Mats Stam

Well. If you are unwilling to learn, then we can't really help you.

I always thought that you had to keep learning to be able to stay in the business though. But I only have a bit over 10 years of experience... :P

Oct 09, 2018 @ 07:13
    Sonja

I'll have to learn it but I don't think ever I'll recommend it, I'll learn it for this purpose only :(

• Nik 1591 posts 7148 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Oct 09, 2018 @ 07:34
    Nik

Hey Sonja,

Ahh I get that. It can be frustrating when you need to learn a new technology to do a reasonably specific task, but in my opinion, it's always good to learn a new technology even if it's not going to replace your primary.

You will be able to draw on a lot of your .Net experience though as the Angular side of things can be used just for the "front end" of the back office. Underneath the hood it will just be calling .Net API end points so you can have most of the hard lifting done in the .Net you are used to.

If you want any help/pointers with the Angular side of things feel free to ask :-) Happy to try and help. But my Angular skills are limited. I've created a few property editors, a couple of back office sections, and a couple of non-public plugins. Also there are alot of people on the forums and twitter that will happily try and help you :-)

Something to note, the Angular used in the Umbraco back office is (I think) Angular JS version 1.2, so don't go learning the typescript Angular 4 (or what ever the current version is).

:-)

Nik

Oct 11, 2018 @ 06:55
    Sonja

Thanks guys. If you can please point me to good tutorials, I would have to use web services and most probably save in database

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 11, 2018 @ 07:13
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sonja

In the documentation there is a lot of useful information about property editors here https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Extending/Property-Editors/

And there are some guides on how to create property editors here https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Tutorials/Creating-a-Property-Editor/

I think this will probably make a good starting point - But also be aware that parts of the documentation can be a little out of date. It's been a while since I had a read through myself.

As it's also referenced in the documentation the Egghead.io course about AngularJS Fundamentals is probably a good supplement too. This is what is being used in the Umbraco backoffice - There is a difference between AngularJS and Angular - So whenever you see something around the web with AngularJS then it's most like refering to version 1 stuff, which is what you'll want to learn in an Umbraco context currently :)

It's always frustrating starting out and learning new things but hopefully it will all feel better when you learn a little more - We've all been there and most likely we will experience the same frustrations whenever new frameworks see daylight in general :)

I hope this helps a bit!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft