Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gihan Perera 2 posts 72 karma points
    Dec 10, 2018 @ 04:58
    Gihan Perera

Upgrade Umbraco CMS V4 to V7 latest

is it possible to upgrade V4.11.10 to V7 latest ? if then what would be the steps involved ? i need to know proper way

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Dec 10, 2018 @ 09:03
    Søren Kottal

Hi Gihan

There is a blog series by Tim Payne here, that describes the process of upgrading.

http://www.attackmonkey.co.uk/blog/2015/10/upgrading-to-73-part-1-preparation

• MuirisOG 382 posts 1284 karma points
    Dec 10, 2018 @ 11:50
  • Niels Lynggaard 190 posts 548 karma points
    Dec 10, 2018 @ 13:13
    Niels Lynggaard

Hi Gihan.

I've been through that process a bunch of times, and I wouldn't recommend it for the following reasons;

• Updating from v. 4 can be done with some effort up to v. 6 something, but then you're stuck with xslt that you have to rewrite to Razor for going forward.
    • There are so many changes along the road, that you end up updating a few minor versions, then fixing propertyeditors and third party packages that break, then doing the whole shabang over again for the next versions..
    • Figuring out all the changes to web.config and other configs takes a lot of time merging one update at the time
    • Figuring out the "best path" through the updates to avoid certain bugs introduced in some versions is a pain and takes time..

Once, I've taken a fairly complex site with many custom-editors and third-party packages all the way from 4.3 to latest 6 version and I ended up spending over 100 hours doing so.

I would definetly reccomend re-implementing on V. 7 instead, since you will have so much more control over what can and should be ported over, possibly moving content with CMS Import if the site has a lot of content. And you will possible end up spending less time doing so.

Cheers, Niels

• Simon Justesen 74 posts 193 karma points
    Dec 10, 2018 @ 15:45
    Simon Justesen

Niels is right: It's not worth it.. I've also tried it a few times, even spent a great amount of time trying to correct issues. Sometimes with great success, at other times I was just digging myself into more and more incomprehensible derived errors.

Probably faster and less error-prone to rebuild the site from scratch. Even though an upgrade seems to be successful, chances are that you'll run into smaller bugs like the database being out of sync (indexes etc) with every upgrade you make. You're going to have to test a lot to ensure everything is still running smoothly, and believe me - it's not going to ;)

/Simon

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft