Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mizzle 90 posts 325 karma points
    Feb 22, 2019 @ 15:43
    mizzle

Site-wide exclusion of nodes without a set template from the URL structure?

For Umbraco 6, using Web Forms:

If I have a site structure set up with

Home

-- Subpage.

-- Subpage.

-- Folder for Organization

---- Another subpage

the url structure comes out as /folder-for-organization/another-subpage.

I don't want to go into why I have the site set up this way, but I cannot change it. I was wondering if there's any way to exclude any folders (i.e. nodes without templates, which are just used for organization in the Umbraco CMS) from showing up in URLs. I know I could individually change these, but I wanted a site-wide solution that would change all future URLs as well as the ones that currently exist.

EDIT: barring this solution, I do know umbracoUrlAlias is a thing. I just can't make it affect my site in any way, and I don't know why.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Feb 22, 2019 @ 16:02
    Dirk De Grave

Hi mizzle,

Have a look at this documentation: https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Reference/Routing/Request-Pipeline/outbound-pipeline

Depending on where you're going with this, either implement your own url or url segment providers

I can see some drawbacks in 'removing' folders from url structure, because you could end up with url collisions if you're creating eg a Subpage below the "Folder for organization" folder (assuming you don't want this part to be in url)

--Dirk

Feb 22, 2019 @ 16:58
    mizzle

Hi, Dirk.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure how to interpret it, though. It seems to be talking more about domains than it is about excluding specific paths.

To clarify a bit more, the site is a translated copy of the main site, so it exists on a siteurl.com/language/ hostname. The translations of pages are dependent on a page's presence below the duplicated home node, but a previous developer set it up to have a "Secondary Content" type folder under Root, filled with pages and info to be excluded from the primary site structure. Folders under Root don't show up in the url, but as soon as those folders were moved under the Translation Home node, they get included.

I'm just trying to get the translated site to mirror the original site, except with the inclusion of the /language/ path before all the translated pages.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Feb 22, 2019 @ 18:10
    Amir Khan

I think this package will do what you want: https://our.umbraco.com/packages/website-utilities/virtualnodes/

Feb 22, 2019 @ 19:20
    mizzle

I state up front that I'm working in Umbraco 6.

Feb 22, 2019 @ 20:29
    mizzle

I've ended up putting aside my need to have things organized and simply turned the original pages into redirects that redirect to subpages directly under my Translation host. It looks like a mess in the Umbraco side of things, but it gives me the the URL I wanted and seems to be functioning correctly.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft