Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• p.rabau 2 posts 82 karma points
    Apr 09, 2019 @ 11:56
    p.rabau

Hi,

Right now we are thinking on the approach how to localize our web application which is based on Umbraco 7.4.

Requirements:

• On the site will have a location-culture picker
    • Different combination of location-culture will have the same content on different languages
    • Can be situations when for some locations some content block will be not presented

It would be nice if somebody will be able to provide core ideas what are the best practices for such kind of operation? (Use some plugins/upgrade to a more modern version/create copies of pages).

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 09, 2019 @ 12:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hello and welcome to the Umbraco forum :-)

If the websites in your solution are not going to be 1-1 then you should consider having language based roots so your setup is like

• Website
      • DK
        • Home
          • Page
          • Page
          • Page
          • Etc.
      • EN
        • Home
          • Page
          • Etc.
      • Etc.

This allows you to have a flexible structure that takes into account that the sites are not 1-1 and can have different structures and content hierarchies.

But perhaps some of the content on your pages need to be placed in a "Shared Content" folder - Here it can become quite messy to have a version of a "Box", "SlideShow" or whatever for each possible language so in this case I would consider using Vorto by Matt Brailsford: https://our.umbraco.com/packages/backoffice-extensions/vorto/ - Using Vorto you can setup datatypes using Vorto meaning you will be able to switch the language for each field on a "Box" and dealing with the translation this way for a piece of reusable content.

There are probably more variations on possible approaches but I hope this provides some useful ideas and inspiration.

Happy Umbraco journey :)

/Jan

• p.rabau 2 posts 82 karma points
    Apr 09, 2019 @ 12:37
    p.rabau

Thank you @Jan Skovgaard for your really quick and informative reply.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 09, 2019 @ 14:40
    Jan Skovgaard

You're welcome :-)

It might also be worth reading some of these articles - You might find further inspiration on how to deal with things. Even though some of them are written for older version pre Umbraco 7 some of the concepts still hold true.

Umbraco Extensibility by Simone Chiaretta - Simone has been working on a big project, which also had to deal with localization and multiple language setup where they integrated "NuTranslation" and that is what he writes about here. This might be overkill in your scenario but it could be nice to know that there are other ways :)

Multilingual validation messages by Daniƫl Knippers - If you ever need to deal with doing multilingual validation messages in forms

Multilingual vorto nested content by Jeroen Breuer - Jeroen writes about doing 1-1 translations using Vorto, as I mentioned above and Nested content. It might come in handy too.

Using one Umbraco instance to host multiple sites by Maggy Burnsy - This is a good read on how to setup your architecture to deal with multiple sites in general but is also very relevant when doing multilingual sites the way I described above.

Edit: I forgot to mention the translation manager package by Kevin Jump - You can learn more about it here https://our.umbraco.com/packages/backoffice-extensions/translation-manager/ and here https://jumoo.co.uk/translate/ - Be aware that this is a commercial package.

Happy reading :-)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft