Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• iNETZO 13 posts 104 karma points
    1 week ago
    iNETZO

What do you choose? Umbraco 7 or 8

Hi everybody,

For a large intranet project I am currently in doubt as to what basis I will choose, Umbraco 7 or Umbraco 8. Together with a number of colleagues (non-technical users) I have involved, we think the Umbraco 7 interface works better and looks nicer. The disadvantage is that Umbraco 7 will be discontinued i guess and that the entire project will someday have to be upgraded to Umbraco 8. Is it perhaps therefore more convenient to opt for Umbraco 8 now and hope that the interface of the upcomming versions will be as good as that of Umbraco 7 again?

For my curiosity, what do you use for new projects? Umbraco 7 or 8?

• kowapa 3 posts 73 karma points
    1 week ago
    kowapa

Umbraco 8.
    Many fixes from u7 was transfered to u8 and ofcourse many tweaks which many users used in u7 now exist in u8 as default functions. In addition can say that it will be hard to upgrade from u7 to u8 (for now it's impossible for now). Umbraco team are now more focused on u8 and most fixes will be released on u8.
    What else? Depends more from what you wanted to have? Stable and checked by years or something new and modern which is establishing only now?

• Corné Strijkert 45 posts 260 karma points
    7 days ago
    Corné Strijkert

I think it depends on the type of application you want to use Umbraco for. For important websites I personally think you should not use Umbraco 8 already without a clear view about the lacks, but for simple websites you can do.

V8 adds built in language variants support and contains the new (fast) NuCache. Publishing content by using Content services should be much faster

I have involved, we think the Umbraco 7 interface works better and looks nicer.

Umbraco 8 comes with nice UI improvements like infinite editing which is a improvement over v7. I'm not sure about the missing tabs in v8, but maybe something will change there in future, according to this forum post: https://our.umbraco.com/forum/umbraco-8/93641-discussion-about-tabs

• Paul Wright (suedeapple) 200 posts 545 karma points
    7 days ago
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

I've used v8 on four website now, and not hit any problems. I'm just using the vanilla core Property Types, and no 3rd party plugins. Nothing overly glitchy, and you get used to it after a short while

If you go down the route of v7, in 6 months time you'll be screaming to yourself to why you didn't start the project on the v8 branch.

In short - It's a no brainer :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft