Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tristan 16 posts 36 karma points
    Jun 23, 2010 @ 21:42
    Tristan

Umbraco URL Alias

Possibly quite a simply question (I hope)
    I'm trying to set up a new site that is effectively a subfolder of an existing site. So I want the advertised URL to be

www.mysite.com/newsite

currently though the homepage of the new site is www.mysite.com/newsite.aspx which isn't really suitable for printing on posters!

I've tried using the Umbraco URL Alias property to give it a new alias - but that also still seems to insist on adding an aspx extension.

Am I going about this in the right way or is there some other setting I should be looking at to achieve this?

thanks very much in advance

• Jeff Grine 149 posts 189 karma points
    Jun 23, 2010 @ 22:18
    Jeff Grine

Try setting umbracoUseDirectoryUrls to true in appSettings of web.config. I haven't played with it, but I think that's the first step if you don't like the .aspx.

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Jun 23, 2010 @ 22:29
    Stefan Kip

Jep, Jeff's right! Just set it to true and you're .aspx extensions will vanish! ;-)

Jun 24, 2010 @ 15:32
    Tristan

Thanks both - I see I also need to figure out some URL rewriting in IIS to get rid of the aspx extension...

(I don't suppose you know what the regular expression would be?)

thanks for the help

TM

• Tom Maton 387 posts 660 karma points
    Jun 24, 2010 @ 16:26
    Tom Maton

Tristan,

You shouldn't need to do the URL rewriting.

Just make the changes mentioned above republish the entire site and the extensionless URL should be applied to each page.

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/setting-up-umbraco-for-friendly-urls

Tom

Jun 24, 2010 @ 22:18
    Tristan

Thanks!

• Chad 65 posts 129 karma points c-trib
    Jun 27, 2010 @ 11:19
    Chad

FYI, there might be a slight performance penalty with pushing all resources through the asp isapi filter. Depending who you read it's anywhere from 10% to 0.1%.

Just something to keep in mind. I prefer to use url re-writing.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft