Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• daniel 5 posts 38 karma points
    Jul 09, 2010 @ 21:52
    daniel

I will donate 3 xboxes for 3x3 templates/skins for Umbraco

Hi Umbracians.

I am about to clean out in my closet at the office, and the other day I found 3 brand new xbox elites that I had stuck in there.

I thought about what to do with them, and after a day or two of thinking, i realised that they should be given to someone involved at umbraco project. Not totally for free though :)

I will ship an xbox to the persons who create the coolest, cleanest, easiest and most funky html/css designs for umbraco. What I would normally call a website skin that is!

I have 3 xboxes (maybe 4) so if you are quick and want a new toy, then start tagging up some html and css.  

If you manage to create some cool designs after I have shipped the 3 xboxes I will find you something else, maybe not as heavy as an xbox, but hopefully you will feel it has been worth your while!

Please email me the 3 designs as zip files at [email protected]. If you think this is a hoax or I am a crook please ask either Niels or Per about who I am :) I am a real person and I dig Umbraco and want to help the project as much as possible with this initiative.

Thanks guys!

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Jul 10, 2010 @ 10:31
    Niels Hartvig

Daniel is real, a cool guy and working at Microsoft Denmark. Some of you might met him at CodeGarden 10. In other words, this competition is *real* :-)

In parallel with this we've actually been working on a new skin format that allows injection of macros/html snippets in addition to "just" css. In the ideal world this would be skins for Runway so we could start getting some really cool "starter kits" for Umbraco to be included in the installer!

More details next week, but for now it would be awesome to base your skins on Runway but knowing that you can actually add macros/html snippets to the default templates if you like.

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Jul 10, 2010 @ 12:07
    Warren Buckley

Hey this is a great initiative and hopefully I can find some time to help contribute some work for this.

Daniel, did you not see my gorgeous skin at the skinning competition ;)
    http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/retro-theme-for-runway

On a serious note I will attempt to find some time to do a decent skin or two, and this is great news Niels that skin developers will be able to change the markup from the base install. As this was something I was talking at the retreat about and trying to figure out a way to do this.

As it can be very hard for skin designers/developers to skin a site with just CSS & images alone, so modifying or tweaking the XHTML makes this very flexible.

Could this new technique be applied to something like CWS as well?

Warren

• tarekahf 215 posts 153 karma points
    Jul 10, 2010 @ 14:31
    tarekahf

I like the idea of skins/theme for Umbraco Websites. I hope in the end there will be easy way to allow the end-user to swtich themes or select from available ones.

Tarek.

• Carl Sargunar 69 posts 91 karma points MVP 3x
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 11:48
    Carl Sargunar

Hi Daniel

Thanks for throwing open this amazing competition. I'm sadly no designer, but I work with a couple of budding designers , one of whom already loves Umbraco and the other of whom will shortly love umbraco ;) I will encourage them to enter this competition. I wanted to know how long you were willing to give them to get the designs together - each under their own name of course. What kind of end date did you have in mind?

Otherwise keep up the good work - you and all the Umbraco community

cheers,

Jul 12, 2010 @ 14:00
    daniel

Hi guys.

I talked to Niels about this, this mornng and it seems that the Umbraco team will write every member of this site an email with the deadline dates, guidelines and so on. Niels has confirmed on this and we talked about 6 weeks from now - approx.

Thanks!

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 14:15
    dandrayne

Is this only limited to runway?   Runway is a great thing, but it's a little limiting for beginning a "proper" project, and seems to be more a tool to show people how to quickly get started using umbraco for the first time.

It would be good if this applied to CWS and BWSP as well!

Dan

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Jul 19, 2010 @ 16:46
    Warren Buckley

Hiya is there anymore news on this?
    What should we be skinning, Runway, CWS other?

Is it CSS & Images only or is markup changes allowed?

Warren :)

• Folkert 82 posts 212 karma points
    Jul 19, 2010 @ 17:12
    Folkert

Would like to know some more information about this project also!

• Lee 1130 posts 3088 karma points
    Jul 19, 2010 @ 18:24
    Lee

I'd like to know too?  Can we skin CWS?  As I agree with Dan, Runway is a little limiting.

• Hendrik Jan 71 posts 137 karma points
    Jul 19, 2010 @ 19:11
    Hendrik Jan

Hi Daniel,

A contest like this sounds awesome! I do think 3 designs is to much work (3x photoshop -> html/css/javascript).
    I would rather spend more time on a really good design than doing several sloppy ones.

Also it would be cool if we could make like a design for the back-office, one for the runway module and one  for cws or something. I wouldnt like to make 3 desgins for the same thing.

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Jul 19, 2010 @ 21:09
    Niels Hartvig

+1 on three designs is way too much. I missed that part - it should only be one IMHO.

More info coming as soon as possible. We're still putting final touches on the format. Should be worth the wait!

Jul 20, 2010 @ 09:17
    daniel

Sure. Let us limit this to ONE great design then!

Anything else ?

• Adam Shallcross 55 posts 211 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jul 23, 2010 @ 22:00
    Adam Shallcross

A great idea.

You should probably decide which components of runway need to be skinned also, but I assume Niels has this in hand.

Cheers

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft