Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• gambrielp 10 posts 30 karma points
    Jul 13, 2010 @ 13:45
    gambrielp

LuceneExamineIndexer - error message in UmbracoLog table

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a newbe, and would really appreciate some pointers with the below error, which is being written into the UmbracoLog table on a regular basis.

[UmbracoExamine] Error indexing queue items,Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I have checked the Folder permissions etc and this 'seems' to be ok.
    I am sorry to be vague but please let me know if you need any further details!

Many thanks,
    Paul

Jul 26, 2010 @ 15:17
    gambrielp

Hi Guys,

Any help ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Paul

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 26, 2010 @ 15:40
    Ismail Mayat

What version of umbraco are you using?

Regards

Ismail

Jul 26, 2010 @ 15:44
    gambrielp

Hi Ismail,

The verison I am using is umbraco v 4.0.3 (Assembly version: 1.0.3625.27276)

Regards,

Paul

Jul 26, 2010 @ 16:47
    Ismail Mayat

Paul,

Are you using umbracoUtilities package at all? If you have installed examine then umbracoUtilities then you could get issue.

Regards

Ismail

Jul 26, 2010 @ 17:33
    gambrielp

Hi Ismail, thanks for your help on this by the way!

Silly question, but how would I check that I have examine installed (sorry, I inherited this and had no involvement in the installation).

Thanks again,
    Paul

Jul 26, 2010 @ 17:45
    Ismail Mayat

Paul,

Take a look in the web.config is there a section for examine namely

<section name="ExamineLuceneIndexSets" type="UmbracoExamine.Config.ExamineLuceneIndexes, UmbracoExamine"/>

there are 2 possible reasons for error either you have examine installed and umbracoUtilities installed, they both use different version of lucene.  The other is you have examine installed and that for some reason is causing an issue could be version incompatiblity you have 4.0.3 and the version of examine installed works with later version of umbraco?  What do you get when you try and search in the backend ie the top left search box.  Also does the site you are working on have a search on the front end?

regards

Ismail

Jul 27, 2010 @ 10:01
    gambrielp

Hi Ismail,

Yes, the web.config file does contain a reference to Examine (see below)

<section name="UmbracoExamine" type="UmbracoExamine.Core.Config.UmbracoExamineSettings, UmbracoExamine.Core" />
    <section name="ExamineLuceneIndexSets" type="UmbracoExamine.Providers.Config.ExamineLuceneIndexes, UmbracoExamine.Providers" />

When I run a search in the back end (from the content tab) it returns the result without an error.

Yes, we do have a bespoke search engine in the front end that searches the site (which I assume is what is maybe causing the error?)

Regards,
    Paul

Jul 27, 2010 @ 14:48
    Ismail Mayat

Paul,

If the front end search is not using examine then comment the examine stuff out and take out the examine dll (UmbracoExamine).  If I remember rightly the backend stuff in 4.0.3 does not use examine so that should all keep working.  It looks as though someone has installed it but its not being used?

Regards

Ismail

Jul 28, 2010 @ 18:49
    gambrielp

Thanks Ismail - really appreciate your time.

This gives me somewhere to start looking!

Best regards,

Paul

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jul 29, 2010 @ 00:50
    Aaron Powell

Examine has an IndexingError event which is fired whenever an error occurs. You could attach an event handler to that and you should be able to get more information.

To try and solve it I'd need a bit more info though:

• What version of Examine are you running
    • Have you updated the Lucene.Net assembly to the one in the Examine package (Umbraco 4.0.x ran 2.0.x Lucene, we run 2.9.2 for Examine)
    • What do your full Examine configs look like

Jul 30, 2010 @ 17:12
    gambrielp

Hi Slace,

We use Umbraco version 4.0.3 and have been advised (from an external source) that Examine was compiled from source version 43346 ?
    I think the concensus here is to upgrade Umbraco to the lastest version (as is now bundled with Examine).

Thankyou for your time, really appreciate it.

Regards,
    Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft