Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris White 23 posts 43 karma points
    Jul 30, 2010 @ 10:33
    Chris White

Umbraco User Group i.e. grouping users for permissioning based on groups

Hi,

I've been looking around the UI, but one thing I can't seem to find is the concept of a "user group" to allow me to group a set of users together and assign permissions in the content tree based on the group rather than on individual users.

This is a common scenario, so I'm finding it hard to believe there isn't this functionality, but I can't seem to find it. I realise we have "members" and "member groups" but this is for registered users on the site, not for back-end users.

For large global sites, with multiple editors in multiple territories, what is the recommended approach to content tree permissions management - surely this isn't managed on a user by user basis ?

I'm thinking along the lines of AD groups, SQL Role Provider, SharePoint user groups, EPiServer user groups etc.

Any pointers appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Jul 30, 2010 @ 12:26
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Chris,

For the CMS users it pretty much works this way:

User types: You can create new user types and give them default permissions aka actions on what they are generally allowed to do, e.g. Sort, Move or Rollback; so a writer type can only Send To Publish but not directly Publish.

Users: The individual users, you can set start nodes in content and media library, on a granular level (e.g. if you have a multi language site a Spanish writer only needs access to the Spanish section of the site). Obviously you must also set the user type upon creation which defines the default permissions according to the type.

User permissions: per individual user; gives fine grained settings for the content nodes the user will be allowed to see and lets you also override the default permissions, e.g. the Spanish writer might also get access to the blog on the corporate site. This is as detailed as it can get.

'Permissions' on an individual node in the Content: Pretty much a pivot view of the User permissions, all individual users with access to that node are listed and you can override the default permissions.

If I understand you correctly then you would like the last two functions to work on user groups rather individual users. As far as I know this is unfortunately not possible at the moment.

Sascha

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft