Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ian Pettman 25 posts 53 karma points
    Aug 17, 2010 @ 13:11
    Ian Pettman

How to redirect an external link to new existing page

Hopefully the title says it all. I've been developing stuff for a few years, but am new to umbraco. I have a number of incomming and internal links that have been broken (for apparently good reason). I have a general 404 handler, but I'd like to be more specific. In simple terms I have a link to www.mysite/someoldstuff.aspx and I want it to automatically go to page www.mysite/somenewpage.aspx Also if the link is to www.mysite/someoldstuff.xyz the general 404 handler does noto want to kick in... Guidance would be appreciated. I found some links to 3 or 4 year old stuff, but presum that in 4.x there is a better way? Thanks

• daniel_sbbs 33 posts 52 karma points
    Aug 17, 2010 @ 13:22
    daniel_sbbs

Sounds like UrlRewriting.config would help you out, take a look at www.urlrewriting.net for more info.

• Ian Pettman 25 posts 53 karma points
    Aug 24, 2010 @ 13:25
    Ian Pettman

Thanks Daniel. Well we got the ISP to send redirects to a specific default page. Then just recreated the (4) offending pages (out of 300) with a this article has been updated by...... I am also setting up a new test site so that we can check out urlrewriting - but am not willing to deploy it live yet - quick and dirty will have to do.

One other question... how do I mark this as solved...? (Cant see any buttons anywhere)

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Jan 18, 2011 @ 23:06
    Chris Houston

Hi Ian,

Long time no see, happy new year to you.

I just came across this ticket as I found you in the members search :)

I just thought I'd add that if you want IIS to process .XYZ files ( i.e. older files that no longer exist that are not .ASPX ) you can configure IIS to process .XYZ extension files as .ASP.NET pages, that way they will use the same 404 processing that is used if you hit a /thisdoesnotexist.aspx page.

Cheers,

Chris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft