Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lee 1130 posts 3088 karma points
    Aug 18, 2010 @ 09:27
    Lee

DependencyHandler.axd Using Old Domain Instead Of New One?

While I was building out my new blog I had it on a sub domain (new.mydomain.co.uk) and everything was working as it should.

I then made the blog live and changed the bindings in IIS to be (www.) instead of (new.) and again the site loaded fine as you would expect.  But then I logged into the umbraco admin and noticed nearly all the background images were missing?

I checked the source and found the DependencyHandler.axd is still referencing the old domain in the code - See below??

Any ideas why it would be doing this?  Its been like it for weeks now?

• elspiko 133 posts 302 karma points
    Aug 18, 2010 @ 09:37
    elspiko

I've been having a similar problem. Mine was related to upgrading from 4 to 4.5.1 and missing out some web.config settings. Have you also tried deleting the ClientDependency folder in the App_Data directory?

Cheers

Rich

Aug 18, 2010 @ 09:38
    Lee

Nope but I'm going to try deleting it now :)

Aug 18, 2010 @ 09:41
    Lee

It dies if you remove that folder...

• elspiko 133 posts 302 karma points
    Aug 18, 2010 @ 09:48
    elspiko

Odd, it didn't die when I removed mine I came across this post when I ran into the issues (http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/11644-BUG-DependencyHandler-using-old-(dead)-absolute-path-to-objects). Does an App pool restart kick it back into life?

• Ove Andersen 435 posts 1541 karma points c-trib
    Aug 18, 2010 @ 09:50
    Ove Andersen

Try looking at the documentation here for how to clear the cache: http://clientdependency.codeplex.com/documentation

It does sound a lot like this problem: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/11644-BUG-DependencyHandler-using-old-(dead)-absolute-path-to-objects

Aug 18, 2010 @ 10:01
    Lee

Doh... Thanks Ove, I needed to change debug to true first

<compilation debug="true">

Then I deleted the ClientDependency folder in the App_Data directory and it was fine, set debug back to false and everything is fine :)

Thanks

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Aug 18, 2010 @ 10:13
    Aaron Powell

Client Dependency does an in-memory cache (reloaded on app pool recycle), a file system cache (which is a physical version of the in-memory version) and the original unmodified files.

When Client Dependency receives a request it does:

Does the requested dependency set exist in memory? If yes, return it from memory.

If no, does it exist on the file system? If yes, load into memory and return it from memory.

If still no, combine the files in the request, save it to the file system and add it to the memory cache and return it.

You should never copy the Client Dependency files across environments, only the original CSS and JavaScript files, Client Dependency can make dependency sets itself.
    The "problem" is expected behavior, and by design.

• aaronb 97 posts 116 karma points
    Aug 21, 2010 @ 17:39
    aaronb

Slace,

I'm in a position where we move a site to a new domain once development is finished. I'm a designer, not a programmer or server guy so please forgive my ignorance here. Are you saying it's good practice to delete the contents of the client dependency folder when we move a site to live?

thanks for the clarification.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Aug 22, 2010 @ 00:20
    Aaron Powell

Just don't copy that folder or its contents

• North Krimsly 59 posts 80 karma points
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 23:26
    North Krimsly

I am having a similar problem, though it is not due to copying over an existing Umbraco site to a new domain.  I made a change to web.config to support a custom 404 page, and this resulted somehow, in the DependencyHandler.axd URL values no longer being valid.  This means JQuery doesn't get loaded and I cannot use the Umbraco admin interface since it is messed up without JQuery. I rolled back my change to web.config but DependencyHandler.axd still isn't working.

I changed the version number in the ClientDependency config, deleted the ClientDependency folder from App_Data (in 4.5 it is App_Data/TEMP/ClientDependency), and also changed <compilation debug="true"in web.config. This works until I change <compilation debug="false"> again.  Then I get the same errors about JQuery not being found (though fewer of them). I posted in another forum on this but haven't got an answer that works yet.  Since you all experienced this problem, I'm hoping you'll have some further ideas for me to try.  I think that all I need to do is get the client dependency cache fully removed and then fully reconstructed but I can't seem to find a way to do this.  

Thanks for any suggestions,

-NorthK

• North Krimsly 59 posts 80 karma points
    Oct 28, 2010 @ 20:15
    North Krimsly

I apologize, it turns out that my web.config was totally screwed up and this is what caused the problem.  Setting up a custom 404 page was done through my hosting company's control panel, which heavily modified my web.config in ways I did not anticipate.  Once I corrected the web.config line by line, all was well.

Thanks,

-NorthK

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft