Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• JohnSheridan 9 posts 29 karma points
    Aug 24, 2010 @ 22:39
    JohnSheridan

Searching for Article Package and other ready to use stuff

Hi Experts,

Please could you tell me, if there exists an article pakackge?
    Or can I use the blog package?
    Is there a workflow posible: texter can only save, editor can publish.

I searched the projecs site on our.umbraco.org and on google but could not finde an article package for making a portal posting some articles.

Is the site http://our.umbraco.org/projects the only site where I can get packages?
    Is there another "marketplace" where I can get (or buy) ready to use packages?

Many thanks in advance and best regards

John

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Aug 25, 2010 @ 17:44
    Sascha Wolter

Hi John,

I am not 100% clear on what you mean by article package so I'll try a couple of guesses. You will probably have a site to build with categories and sub categories (e.g. Sport -> Football) where your writers then can create new articles which need editing in order to be published?

This can be easily done by using the functionality that Umbraco comes with and which it is actually build of. You can create a number of document types in the backend, e.g. one for category (Sport), one for sub cateogry (Football) and then one (or more if you got different types) for the article itself (Article). You can then set the structure on each doc type so the content tree will look like this:

home
    - Sport
    - - Football
    - - - Reindeers 4 : 1 Elks
    - - - more articles
    - - more sub categories
    - more categories

In the Users section you can then use the already existing user types called 'writer' and 'editor' which have already set up the permissions as you would need them, so the writer can only 'send to publish' and the editor can then publish. If the editor now sets up his account so he receives email notifications whenever somebody performs 'send to publish' then your workflow is done. :)

our.umbraco.org/projects is now THE project repository for Umbraco packages, especially since version 4.5. it will most likely contain all packages which are available for Umbraco for 4.5.+.

Have a look at the umbraco.tv section to find more info on the Umbraco concepts, they are probably the best (and easiest!) way to make yourself familiar with the system.

Cheers,
    Sascha

Aug 25, 2010 @ 18:27
    JohnSheridan

Hi Sascha,

many thanks for your hint.

Thats exactly want I need :-)

Aug 27, 2010 @ 09:21
    JohnSheridan

Hi,

if I use the example in the post of Sascha

home
    - Sport
    - - Football
    - - - Reindeers 4 : 1 Elks
    - - - more articles
    - - more sub categories
    - more categories

and compare it with the Runway Example (e.g. the gallery or the faq) than I must write a xslt macro on the football node to get all articles above the node, isn't it?
    And also a xslt for getting the sport categories.

And with the notification and the user management system I could implement a simple workflow?

So the main advantage of umbraco is

• store the hierarchy of content in the content section
    • define the elements of a document through document types
    • have fully control over formating output (through xslt macro)
    • have fully control over menu (also throuhg xslt macro)

So umbraco is more a tool for developers and designers and not a tool for non technical persons or a plug and play system (like dotnetnuke)?

Are this assumptions correct?

Please help me to understand this things to get the feeling for umbraco

Many thanks in advance and best regards

John

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft