Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chad Rosenthal 272 posts 474 karma points
    Oct 12, 2010 @ 16:15
    Chad Rosenthal

Error Creating New Members and Search for Members in the CMS

Hey,

I've seen a bunch of posts already but none of them seem to exactly match what is going on.

I upgrade an existing site from 4.5.1 to 4.5.2 (.Net 3.5) and the error occurs both on my XP machine and on our Windows Server 2003 staging server.

Since the upgrade, I have now created a member area. I logged into the CMS. Created a Member Type (PhoneType) and a Member Group (PhoneGroup). Added fields to the Member Type. I would then try and create a new member and I receive the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.cms.presentation.create.controls.member.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1402
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +141
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3615; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3618

Was told on the forum to check my defaultMemberTypeAlias to make sure that it is referencing the memberType that I created. 

<add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider" type="umbraco.providers.members.UmbracoMembershipProvider" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="PhoneType" passwordFormat="Hashed" umbracoApprovePropertyTypeAlias="isApproved" umbracoLockPropertyTypeAlias="isLocked" />

I can create members in my code-behind just fine...just not using the CMS.
    The second major issue that I'm having is that the Member Search doesn't work. If I enter in a search value that is not in the any of the created members, I just get an empty list. If I add a value that might be in the Member, I get:

The given key was not present in the dictionary.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.]
       System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException() +28
       System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key) +7456108
       Examine.SearchResult.get_Item(String key) +54
       umbraco.presentation.umbraco.members.MemberSearch.<ButtonSearch_Click>b__5(SearchResult x) +165
       System.Linq.WhereSelectEnumerableIterator`2.MoveNext() +184
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource) +347
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +51
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.DataBind() +75
       umbraco.presentation.umbraco.members.MemberSearch.ButtonSearch_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +744
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +111
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +110
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +175
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3615; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3618
     I've read up on this and most of the recommendations point to this article: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/12417-Null-reference-exception-while-using-the-member-search?p=0#comment49646.
    I've done all of this and the entries in both the ExamineIndex.config and ExamineSettings.config seem to be correct and I can see the physical files.
    I've tried to delete the Member Type and rebuild it. I had an error and it wouldn't let me delete it, so I manually deleted it and rebuilt it from their. The error continues.
    I've restarted the computer, recompiled my code and everything.
    Another curiousity is that when I upgraded, I only upgraded the physical files as I was told that there weren't any DB changes. I updated based on this list: http://thecogworks.co.uk/media/14183/umbracodiff.htm
    Any help would be greatly appeciated!
    -Chad
  • Cornelia 31 posts 53 karma points
    Dec 17, 2010 @ 09:25
    Cornelia

Hi Chad

Did you solve this problem? I have nearly the same problem.

Thanks
    Cornelia

Dec 17, 2010 @ 14:18
    Chad Rosenthal

So I think my first issue was a bad upgrade from 4.5.1 to 4.5.2. The second issue with the Member Search I didn't solve till recently. I think it's actually the location of the cache. When I went into the ExamineIndex.config, i noticed that everything was in the /temp folder. I removed that and for some reason the search started working.

Not 100% sure on this though.

-C

Dec 17, 2010 @ 15:10
    Cornelia

Hi Chad

Great! I removed also the /temp and now the search works again! But I had to save again all existing members again.
    Do you know why all this is originally in the /temp-Folder? Also the ClientDependency is there?

Many thanks
    Cornelia

Dec 17, 2010 @ 15:12
    Chad Rosenthal

Nope. Don't know why it's set to /temp/. As for resaving the members, that is because they had been cached in the old cache, and need to be added to the new cache. 4.0 used to have a reindex.aspx page to hit, but haven't been able to discover how to reindex in 4.5.

What do you mean about ClientDependency?

Dec 17, 2010 @ 15:22
    Cornelia

Hi Chad

When you look at the folder /temp, then you'll find a lot of files in the ClientDependency-folder and the other folder (without /temp) has nothing inside.
    Is it correct, that you didn't change this?

Thanks, Cornelia

Dec 17, 2010 @ 15:24
    Chad Rosenthal

Ah. I changed the location of that also in the clientdependency.config.

-C

Dec 17, 2010 @ 15:30
    Chad Rosenthal

Apparently, like everything else in Umbraco, someone created a 'control' to help with reindexing the site.

Here is the original post:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/15587-Rebuild-Examine-Index

Here is the control:

http://www.box.net/shared/tcn4tsop66

-C

Dec 17, 2010 @ 17:48
    Cornelia

Hi Chad

Really great! It works and with this control it is not necessary to change the folder.

Greetings and thanks a lot
    Cornelia

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Dec 17, 2010 @ 18:02
    Ismail Mayat

Just to note have also created a package now for rebuild index http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/examine-index-admin

Regards

Ismail

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft