Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel Draper 36 posts 57 karma points
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 03:53
    Daniel Draper

Re-branding Umbraco

Great new website team.

I was wondering how one would go about re-branding the umbraco admin section now that there isn't a pro option so to speak. Could one purchase contour as it's considered Umbraco Pro by the new website?

Cheers.

Oct 21, 2010 @ 03:55
    Daniel Draper

Great new website team.

I was wondering how one would go about re-branding the umbraco admin section now that there isn't a pro option so to speak. Could one purchase contour as it's considered Umbraco Pro by the new website and then re-brand? or are we free to re-brand now?

Someone please clear this up as it's got me stumped.

Cheers.

EDIT: Edit isn't working :( XSLT Error :)

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 08:15
    Sebastiaan Janssen

You're free to rebrand the admin section now, it's all MIT licensed. I wouldn't know how to do it, never found a need for it, but it seems like you just replace some images and text.. It's going to be hard to upgrade to a newer version though, you'd need to re-apply those changes. 

You can still use Contour, it's just a paid add-on to Umbraco.

Oct 21, 2010 @ 08:41
    Daniel Draper

Thanks Sebastiaan, I have already had a play with re-branding and it's easy stuff, upgrading shouldn't be a problem as I will just created an app to strip out the files I have modified.

• Eran 292 posts 436 karma points
    Oct 28, 2010 @ 16:30
    Eran

hey daniel, just incase some customer will demand this in the future, can you please post here which files need to be changed?

(or even better, add wiki about rebranding umbraco).

Thanks!

• mots 44 posts 75 karma points
    Jan 14, 2011 @ 15:17
    mots

Are we allowed to edit the message text and image in the Umbraco login section?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 14, 2011 @ 15:18
    Sebastiaan Janssen

You're allowed to edit anything you want. The license is fully permissive of that (since June 2009).

• mots 44 posts 75 karma points
    Jan 14, 2011 @ 15:22
    mots

Does that also include editing on the free open source license?

Thanks.

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Jan 14, 2011 @ 20:53
    Kim Andersen

Hi folks.I was just wondering why you would ever go and re-brand Umbraco? BEcause you don't want to let the user know they are working with Umbraco, or because you're selling the product as "your" CMS?

Actually I don't really care why, but I'm just a little curious, because Umbraco in the past years has grown to a big and well known brand in the CMS world. So a lot of customers actually know Umbraco these days, and they know that it's a CMS that's used by some very big brands around the globe.

/Kim A

• Roger Swearingen 28 posts 49 karma points
    Jan 14, 2011 @ 23:59
    Roger Swearingen

I can't speak to Daniel's reason, but for our purposes we just updated it to match our company color shcheme / branding guidlines, etc.  Basically, just changed the background color, adjusted some fonts, and included our company logo.  We kept the guts the same and, of course, left all of the buttons at the top intact.  Everything Umbraco is still intact.

Beyond that, I would wonder the same as as you.

• Eran 292 posts 436 karma points
    Jan 15, 2011 @ 00:24
    Eran

as for me - i never hide the fact that i use Umbraco to build the system. furthermore, i always tell my customers the advantages of using open source software.
    actually, i dont wanted to add my company logo, i wanted to add the customer logo to the login screen, to increase the feel that he gets a "complete customized solution" for his business. anyway this was for one specific customer only.

• Roger Swearingen 28 posts 49 karma points
    Jan 15, 2011 @ 01:23
    Roger Swearingen

One note on my reply: We aren't trying to make it look like Umbraco is our solution to any clients.  Our Umbraco instances are used only internally.  No clients involved.  I'm just OCD about having our company branding consistent on everything we do.

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Jan 15, 2011 @ 12:19
    Kim Andersen

Ahh thanks for telling about this guys. It's always nice to hear other people tell why they do different things. You'll get wiser everyday, right :)

Never the less I think that it's a lot easier to sell Umbraco than "Our own CMS", especially because of the Umbraco brand, and all of the great cases that Umbraco can show.

But thanks for telling, I have often wondered why people would hide that they are using Umbraco, but that's obviously not the case in your stories, so I have to find some other folks to ask this question :)

If anyone know someone who does this, please tell them to write in here, so that we curious people can get some answers. Maybe I should start a new thread in the forum asking this question.

Have a nice weekend folks.

/Kim A

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft