Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Raxit 26 posts 46 karma points
    Nov 01, 2010 @ 08:44
    Raxit

Incorrect content displayed when domains are not added to the root nodes

Hello Umbraco experts,

I have setup multiple public site in single umbraco installtion for each provider in my admin system( a seperate non umbraco system) but stuck at one point . Following is my content structure.

Content

- Provider1Root

--Home (www.domain1.com)

---All Content Pages

- Provider2Root

--Home (www.domain2.com)

--- All Content Pages

Please note that I have added host name at Home node beneath Provider1Root/Provider2Root. Upon doing this I realized when I request www.domain2.com it shows content of www.domain1.com, I have gone through couple of forums and noted that domain names should be added to the root of the site node else it does not locate node urls properly. I can not add domain names at Provider1Root/Provider2Root as these nodes contains some configuration which I am using to pull provider specific(ie. provider id) info from Admin System via macro and that is not supposed to be used by my clients who are mere content editors. 

Please point me to right direction so that domains specific contents are resolved properly. I am open to change my approach if I can achieve what I want.  I have made sure to republish all nodes upon adding domain entries.

Umbraco Config is

Version : 4.5.2

IIS        : 7.5

Waiting for your reply.

Thanks,

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15478 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 01, 2010 @ 09:12
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Just add the hostnames to the provider nodes and make your site editors "Start Node in Content" the home node, they don't get to see the provider nodes then.

Nov 01, 2010 @ 09:22
    Raxit

Yes I can do that but the problem is Provider node does not contain any template they are being used to store configuration so if I add hostname to the provider node the landing page to the site, www.domain1/2.com,  would be displayed blank.  

Appreciate your quick reply Sebastiaan.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15478 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 01, 2010 @ 09:31
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Aah, in that case just create a redirect property on your root nodes (the provider nodes) that points to the homepage of the site.

Also, make sure to set "umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath" to "true" in your web.config to have the same URL's that you had.

Nov 01, 2010 @ 09:59
    Raxit

That worked like a charm :) I loved umbracoInternalRedirectId default property however onething I would like to confirm is now my home page has two urls www.domain1.com and www.domain1.com/home.aspx I don't know how good this is from SEO perspective.!!

Thanks a lot for the lovely tip.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft