Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Graham 21 posts 51 karma points
    Nov 01, 2010 @ 19:27
    Graham

Multi country / multi language website - best practice advice?

I need to create a site which can be used and maintained in different regions / countries, and each region/country will have different content in multiple languages.

Not only that, but I want the URLs to be readable in each language (don't want much do I?).

For example, for French content on the Swiss site, I want

www.mywebsite.com/CH/FR/accueil.aspx

For English content on the Swiss site (yes I know Englkish is not an official language, but they want it anyway)

www.mywebsite.com/CH/EN/home.aspx

The same user should be able to log in and change the entire site structure for Switzerland (i.e. anything under mywebsite.com/CH) and also change the different language versions of each page. The pages within a region need to be linked so that if a user on the Swiss site changes language, they are taken to the same page in the selected language.

Note also in the examples above, they should be able to set the URL - so for the French version of the home page we have Accueil.aspx, for the English version we have Home.aspx. This is to make the site more user frienfdly, and also to improve SEO.

Then there will be other regions which have different sets of languages. A Super User can log in and set up anything they like, but country / region administrators should only change content for their region.

Note that the site structure for all regions is expected to be the same on day 1, but the regional administrators will need the ability to add sections and pages to their sites that will not be available in other countries / regions.

I have some ideas on how this could be done, none of which are very nice, but I would welcome any input anyone has on how best to do this.

Note I am an experienced ASP.NET developer, but have no experience of Umbraco or any other CMS.

Thanks in advance.

Graham

• Mansoor Ahmad 16 posts 74 karma points
    Aug 11, 2014 @ 14:21
    Mansoor Ahmad

@Graham: I am also going o work on a website which requires the same tasks to be done as yours. Have you found any good solution yet ? If yes it would be great if you can post it here. Thanks.

• Graham 21 posts 51 karma points
    Aug 11, 2014 @ 14:34
    Graham

Sorry @Mansoor, the project did not go ahead in the end.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft