Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eyal Lavi 4 posts 24 karma points
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 01:42
    Eyal Lavi

Integrating Umbraco and a different CMS/DB

I have only seen very general comments on this and would appreciate more detail.

Scenario: an existing news website uses content in a relational MySQL database with a basic custom-made CMS for editing text only. I would like to retain this and not migrate content to Umbraco, but use other Umbraco features.

For example, is it possible for an editor to edit the *text* of an article using the current CMS/DB (wrapped in a user control), but then associate a file (image, say) through Umbraco?

I realise the solution lies in a web service and a macro, but would like more advice.

Thanks.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 05:16
    Aaron Powell

You can do it a few ways:

• Create a custom backoffice application which users log into the CMS and it comes up similar to the way that Content and Media would come up. This would then require you to create some custom editor forms and implement a tree which will be used to find your content. This will allow you very fine-grade control over the editor experience and how the content is managed
    • Use something like DEWD (http://dewd.codeplex.com/) to write SQL queries which expose data into the Umbraco backoffice and allow for editing using an Umbraco-like UI. This can be simple to set up but could become complex depending on how your other CMS database looks
    • Create a custom DataType which loads data from your old CMS into the Umbraco content editor UI, to be edited within the scope of an Umbraco page. This would result in only a single editor story as it would be just like editing a real page in Umbraco, but could be tricky to map your old CMS 'pages' to an Umbraco-owned page

That said you will save yourself a lot of effort in the long run if you import the content into Umbraco rather than trying to maintain two separate systems of data.

• Eyal Lavi 4 posts 24 karma points
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 18:04
    Eyal Lavi

Thanks, that's very helpful. Any tips on migrating data from another DB to Umbraco?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 23:16
    Aaron Powell

I'd suggest using the CMSImport tool: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/cmsimport

It's commercial but very much worth the price 

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Nov 08, 2010 @ 11:40
    Ismail Mayat

Eyal,

I did this recently although it was migrating from one cms to Umbraco the old cms was sql server so the principles i am outlining are relevant to your question see http://thecogworks.co.uk/blog/2010/11/5/migrating-to-umbraco-via-cms-import as slace's suggestion i did it with CMSImport which rocks big time!!

Regards

Ismail

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft