Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• viral 48 posts 69 karma points
    Nov 26, 2010 @ 20:14
    viral

XSLT SEARCH

Hi,

I am using XSLT Search for search contents. It is working fine for the body text of the page. But when i am displaying .Net user control on page by creating macro, search is not working. It just search only body contents of the page only. 

Also Please if anyone can help me if i want to go from microsoft search express instead of XSLT, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Nov 26, 2010 @ 21:18
    Kim Andersen

You shouldn't have to use a .NET User Control to get the XSLT Search working. In the package that you installed, there was an XSLT-file, which should be placed on the template, where you want to show your search result. Probably the search.aspx page. Does that one work?

And if you need it, you can also specify other page fields that should be searched in. So you can search in all the page fields that you want eg.: bodyText, title, summary etc. etc.

/Kim A

Nov 26, 2010 @ 21:46
    viral

I know. XSLT search is working but when i put .net user control into my page, its not searching content from the user control. Lets say i am creating macro name DisplayContent and it is the .net user control.

so how should i use this macro in xslt search?

Thanks.

Nov 26, 2010 @ 22:58
    Kim Andersen

Ahh I misunderstod your question before. I'm pretty sure you can't search content that's generated through a macro and inserted into a richtext editor. As far as I remember the XSLT Search uses the content from umbraco.config-file.This file contains the XML of all published nodes. But when a node is published, dynamic content from a macro isn't rendered inside of the richtext editor, meaning the content from the macro is not available in the generated XML.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is how it works.

/Kim A

Nov 26, 2010 @ 23:44
    viral

oh i see. so if i want to search the contents which is displayed through macro, then what should i have to do?

Thanks.

Nov 27, 2010 @ 00:14
    Kim Andersen

If that's what you need, I don't think that XSLT search is the right solution for you. Then you'll probably have to take a look at one of the other options like Google Search, Examine or the Microsoft Search Express as you mentioned in your first post.

/Kim A

Nov 27, 2010 @ 00:16
    viral

so do you have any idea how can i build it?

Nov 27, 2010 @ 00:23
    Kim Andersen

I haven't got much experience with the three other options that I mentioned, but the Google Search package that I linked to, seems to be installed quite easy. Try reading the small description on the package page and give it a go if you feel for it. The only downside of using the Google Search is that your pages has to be indexed before the search will find any matching pages. I could imagine that it's the same "problem" if you use the version from Microsoft.

Otherwise you have to spend some time playing around with Examine. I have seen a demonstration of Examine and it's very impressive. But unfortunately I'm not the right one to ask about implementing it as I haven't tried it.

/Kim A

Nov 27, 2010 @ 00:25
    viral

Do you know the link where can i find the video link that you have seen for Examine?

Nov 27, 2010 @ 00:40
    Kim Andersen

On Umbraco.org you can find three videos about Examine right here. About half an hour just about Examine. They aren't free, but it's very cheap to buy a license. As you can see on this page, it's only 19€/month. That's pretty cheap, and you can then watch more that 9 hours of video made by the core team members.

/Kim A

• sun 403 posts 395 karma points
    Nov 27, 2010 @ 01:55
    sun

I want to buy one, but so slow that I can watch video.

Nov 27, 2010 @ 05:32
    viral

any free videos?

Nov 27, 2010 @ 16:53
    Kim Andersen

Yes, there are a couple of free videos. You can find them here. But they are introduction videos, and I don't think that there's a free one about Examine. But hey, 19€/month isn't that much anyway. And it's worth the money in my opinion :)

/Kim A

Dec 09, 2010 @ 15:23
    Kim Andersen

@viral and everybody else interested:

It's your lucky day(s). Right now you can get 6 months free access to the videos on umbraco.tv. Just use the sign up form on this page.

/Kim A

Dec 10, 2010 @ 01:25
    viral

Hi,

Thank you for the information. But i don't think so all videos are free. I have seen adding search video (http://umbraco.tv/help-and-support/video-tutorials/developing-with-umbraco/examine/adding-a-search-to-your-website) but its not free. it just play only for 2 minutes.

Again appreciate your response.

Thanks.

Dec 10, 2010 @ 10:28
    Kim Andersen

Hmm... did you sign up and submit the form on the page that I linked to in my latest post? And after you signed up, did you remember to log in here?

/Kim A

Dec 10, 2010 @ 13:08
    viral

yes i did. But its not allow me to watch whole video.

Thanks.

Dec 10, 2010 @ 19:24
    Kim Andersen

Okay, then I think you need to contact one of the guys from the HQ to hear if anything is wrong with your login. Or hear folks on Twitter if anyone else has experienced the same problems.

/Kim A

Dec 10, 2010 @ 22:58
    viral

So if i create new profile? would it allow me to watch all videos?

Thanks.

Dec 10, 2010 @ 23:53
    Kim Andersen

Sorry dude, but I don't know that. I haven't tried it.

/Kim A

Dec 11, 2010 @ 01:06
    viral

No problem. But i do appreciate your help. Thanks.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft