Nov 29, 2010 @ 12:29
    Andrew Arnott

Tiny MCE - not saving changes

Umbraco 4.5.2 for .Net 3.5

Windows 7

SQL Server 2008 R2

Hi.

This is my first build using 4.5.2.

I'm having the vexing problem of not being able to sabve any changes made in rich text fields. Seeing as this is a new development build, that means that all rich text fields are simply remaining blank.

When I hsave (or save and publish) changes, the Umbraco client informs me ni the usual way that this was successful. However, the changes are not written to the database (or to umbraco.cofig). When I relaod the item in the Ubraco content tree, the richt text fields are all blank again.

Is this something anyone's come across before? How can I get this working again?

Thanks,

Andrew

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Nov 29, 2010 @ 14:18
    Kim Andersen

Hi Andrew.

Sounds a little bit like a permission issue. Could you try checking your file permissions to the umbraco.config file.

Umbraco must have the rights to modify this file before any new content can be saved successfully. Is it just changes made in the Richtext Editor, or is is all changes that you make to your nodes?

/Kim A

• Andrew Arnott 9 posts 29 karma points
    Nov 29, 2010 @ 14:20
    Andrew Arnott

The Umbraco process in IIS7 has full control (it's a dev enviroment, so no harm in that) - in fact the local users group and the IUSRS accoutn also do.

Changes to other field types are being saved, just no to rich text fields.

Nov 30, 2010 @ 10:56
    Andrew Arnott

I've restored the umbraco_client and config fodlers to the ones in the orignial download, to no avail.

Nov 30, 2010 @ 11:51
    Andrew Arnott

And now I've put back everything from the downloaded zip, leaving only my own masterpages and user controls in place. This has not helped at all.

I am really struggling here. Any suggestions?

I've given "everyone" full control over the site's root directory, so I'm not seeing how it coul be permissions related.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 30, 2010 @ 12:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Maybe it's a problem with the database permissions?

Do you have access to the database? And is the content stored in it?

/Jan

Nov 30, 2010 @ 12:18
    Andrew Arnott

Yes, all other content types are getting written successfully to the database.

It really is ony the rich text that has a problem. But obviously, without rich text, this is not going to result ni a usable product.

Is there really no one else who had these issues?

I didn't have this problem in 4.0.

Nov 30, 2010 @ 12:21
    Jan Skovgaard

Yes that's indeed weird and must be very frustrating as well. Haven't heard of others having this issue earlier though...

Can you provide us with detailed information about your setup? It's probably one of those small annyoing things that one can stare one self blind on.

/Jan

Nov 30, 2010 @ 12:31
    Andrew Arnott

How much detail do you need? I don't want to leave out anything important, but neither do I want to flood you with irrelevant information.

I'm running it through IIS7 on a Windows 7 machine, with SQL 2008 R2.

I'm using VS2008 for development.

I have restored the out of the box (or zip) files for everything barring my own code - all this is doing is retrieving and rendering content - and the database connection in the web.config.

There are a few packages installed - so I thought I'd just be totally thourough and uninstall them one by one.

Lo and behold - it was the "Standard Values in Umbraco" package that was causing this.

I guess I can live without standard values a lot mroe easily than without rich text.

Nov 30, 2010 @ 12:34
    Jan Skovgaard

Hmmm, that's interesting! Seems like there might be a bug then. You should probably let Morten know, but posting this in the "bugs" section of his package forum so he has a chance to look at it and make an update.

Happy that you found out what was causing the issue.

/Jan

• Morten Christensen 596 posts 2773 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Nov 30, 2010 @ 13:14
    Morten Christensen

Hi Andrew and Jan,

I have tried to reproduce the problem Andrew is having with content in rich text fields not being saved, but I have not been able to reproduce it locally.
    First thing that is worth noting is that the Standard Values package only has one event that is used to copy the standard value into a newly created document. There are no events being triggered when saving content - only when a new document is being created.

Could there be some other events triggering something?

Andrew, could you list the other packages you have installed as well? That way I can test with those packages installed to see if something is causing conflicts.

Thanks,
    Morten

Nov 30, 2010 @ 16:06
    Andrew Arnott

OK, I finally got to the bottom of it...

It was a bit of code in the on save process that was residing deep in our utilities project. Whilst workign fine in 4.0, this obviously casued issues in 4.5.

Thanks for your support, your time and efforts are greatly appreciated.

• Muhammad hussain 33 posts 53 karma points
    Feb 02, 2011 @ 09:09
    Muhammad hussain

Hi

I got help for this link. It is Nice to imliment

I think your problem will be slove using this link

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/customizing-the-wysiwyg-rich-text-editor-%28tinymce%29/allow-any-markup-in-the-tinymce-editor

Thanks

Muhammad Hussain

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft