Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Petras Surna 8 posts 29 karma points
    Dec 01, 2010 @ 12:11
    Petras Surna

How do you handle thousands of content items?

The content tree works well when you don't have a lot of content.

But what should you do when you have thousands or even tens of thousands of items of content?

In a typical ASP.NET web application this would be handled by a DataGrid and then another screen to edit an entry as shown below.

Can DataGrids be added to Umbraco?

Or is there antoher way of handling large numbers of content?

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Dec 01, 2010 @ 12:18
    Hendy Racher

Hi Petras,

Quite agree, the content tree isn't the best way to display lots of child nodes at once, to overcome this I tend to create a custom section with custom trees that act as filters to the same data - so more top level banches each with fewer children.

Alternatively, how about creating a dashboard control (or a dataype for the parent node) to render a grid of nodes like you have above ?

HTH,

Hendy

• Barry Fogarty 493 posts 1129 karma points
    Dec 01, 2010 @ 12:23
    Barry Fogarty

Hi Petras,

I believe that for any content item in Umbraco, it will appear in the tree as it will be a node in the system. That is not to say you could not extend Umbraco to use a datagrid to manage certain node properties, but I don't think it would be addressing your issue above.

That said, I have worked on an Umbraco site with thoasands of news items and the tree performed fine.  Under the main news node the structure was split into year/month/day, with a handful of news nodes in any given day.  The tree performed fine using this setup, only issue was if a large group needed to be republished - I found it best to do them in small groups to avoid timeouts in this case.

Hope that helps

• Petras Surna 90 posts 144 karma points
    Dec 02, 2010 @ 00:05
    Petras Surna

Thanks for the answers guys. I must admit this seems like a major issue. A tree with thousands of items won't work because I need multi-field filtering. I would have thought this scenario was really common too. Interesting there doesn't seem to be a DataGrid approach for it.

• Barry Fogarty 493 posts 1129 karma points
    Dec 02, 2010 @ 00:37
    Barry Fogarty

One other point to note Petras, there is no obstacle in the system that would prevent you from binding the Umbraco data to a datagrid and editing the content in the way you describe.  But for me this is a "square peg round hole" situation - Umbraco does not offer this kind of content management tool and therefore may not be the best choice for the project you are describing.

If it is only part of your website, you could use a custom table and like you say custom build a page with the standard ASP.Net datagrid-bound-to-a-datatable type of editing approach.  You could even create a new dashboard section to handle the management of this part of the site as Hendy has outlined.

Hope this helps and please do vote for any posts you have found useful.

• Josh Townson 67 posts 162 karma points
    Dec 02, 2010 @ 00:57
    Josh Townson

How about the following package, which I think does exaclty what you want!

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/falm-tabular-folder-browser

• Petras Surna 90 posts 144 karma points
    Dec 02, 2010 @ 01:00
    Petras Surna

Square peg round hole - thats good to know, often you think the solution must be in there somewhere and spend ages looking for it so I'll stop!

"If it is only part of your website, you could use a custom table and like you say custom build a page with the standard ASP.Net datagrid-bound-to-a-datatable type of editing approach."

Sounds fine to me.

I found this on dashboards http://stackoverflow.com/questions/967464/extending-the-umbraco-dashboard

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/falm-tabular-folder-browser sounds good too

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft