Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• tesuji 95 posts 139 karma points
    Dec 16, 2010 @ 15:07
    tesuji

Back up templates, styesheets, etc?

It appears you cannot revert to older versions of "Settings" docs such as templates, style sheets, etc. like you can web pages.

Is there an easy way to back these up, so in case I mess one up I can go back to the previous one?

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Dec 16, 2010 @ 15:24
    Dirk De Grave

use a source control system (svn, tfs, hg, ....), so you can always revert to any revision at any time. Or create backups before you start editing in the admin ui and are not sure it'll work out as expected..

Cheers,

/Dirk

• tesuji 95 posts 139 karma points
    Dec 16, 2010 @ 15:45
    tesuji

To put them in version control, are the templates and stylesheets located somewhere in the Umbraco file structure? I was assuming these were just stored in the database.

Or are you saying I need to cut and paste into text files whenever I change something?

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Dec 16, 2010 @ 15:52
    Hendy Racher

Hi Tesuji,

Yes, the Templates, CSS, UserControls, XSLT etc.. are all on the file system (although templates are also referenced in the database).

HTH,

Hendy

• Chris Gaskell 59 posts 142 karma points
    Dec 16, 2010 @ 17:43
    Chris Gaskell

Hi Tesuji,

Usually the directory in which Umbraco sits is held in a version control system such as sub version.

When any changes to css / templates / xlst etc are made a file on disk will be updated  (the contents of items like these do not live in the database). Then the files can be submitted to the version control system.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft