Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• prachi 8 posts 28 karma points
    Dec 30, 2010 @ 09:56
    prachi

how to add javascript menu?

Hello all,

I am a new bee for umbraco. I am working on a project which is already developed in umbraco. I need to add a javascript menu to it. I am not able to understand where  and how to add this.

Can any one guide me in this regard???

Thanks,

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Dec 30, 2010 @ 10:14
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Prachi

If you are new to Umbraco I can recommend you spend some money on umbraco.tv (it's a cheap way of get going).

You can also have a look at this wiki entry: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/a-complete-newbie%27s-guide-to-umbraco

I also recommend that you install and play around with runway or the CWS package. Both can be installed from the developer section -> packages - This will give you a good idea about how Umbraco works.

I think that it's good to have had a look at these packages before getting down'n'dirty on your own.

However...too make a menu in Umbraco you will need to make a navigation Macro in XSLT for instance. Fortunately there is already a prebuilt snippet you can make use of.

If you go to the developer section and right click on the XSLT folder, you get a dialogue where you can give your XSLT file a name and you can choose the "navigation prototype", from the dropdown. Make sure that the "Create macro" checkbox is checked.

Now you can place the macro in your master template, which you find in the settings section under "templates". In the template you can insert the macro by selecting the 4. icon from the left, which looks like an envelope. Then you get a dialogue where you can select your macro from a dropdown list. Once it's inserted into the template you can save it. If everything went well you should now be able to see the navigation on your site.

Now you have a menu on you page wrapped in some HTML, with id's and class names, which should give you enough hooks to manipulate it using javascript and css. The CSS files are placed in the CSS folder and the JavaScript files in the script folder in the root (Or whatever folder you would like to use). So you just need to remember to reference them properly in your template.

All of the above steps off course requires that you have created document types, templates and have created a content structure in the content section. So therefore I think it's good if you spent some time familirising yourself with Umbraco first, if these things are not already in place.

I hope that all of the above makes sense to you. Otherwise don't hesitate to ask as we are all here to help you get going ;-)

/Jan

Dec 30, 2010 @ 10:58
    prachi

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your quick reply. I also want to study umbrack AtoZ, and on the same path. But this work i have to complete ASAP, so didn't get enough time to study and work on it.

Actully, I have one Javascript Menu (JS file, CSS file and HTML file) which I have use in one of my PHP project. I have some queries in this regard.

1) Is it possible to use the same menu in umbraco website?

2) While trying this, I have created 2 js files under Settings -> Scripts. Now I want these files to be include in header.ascx which in under Developer ->User Control files. How can I achieve this?

3) I have followed your steps for creating menu, I successfully created xslt file under Developer -> XSLT,

but in step 2 :

Now you can place the macro in your master template, which you find in the settings section under "templates". In the template you can insert the macro by selecting the 4. icon from the left, which looks like an envelope. Then you get a dialogue where you can select your macro from a dropdown list. Once it's inserted into the template you can save it. If everything went well you should now be able to see the navigation on your site.

not able to find anything like this. When I right click Templates, two options are there, 1) Create 2) Reolad nodes,

I don't understand what to do.

Can you guide me further in this regard.

Thanks,

Prachi

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Dec 30, 2010 @ 11:23
    Rich Green

"not able to find anything like this. When I right click Templates, two options are there, 1) Create 2) Reolad nodes,"

You have to click an area in the template where you want to place the Macro (where you want the code to appear) NOT right click the template.

Rich 

Dec 30, 2010 @ 13:27
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi again

1) Yes I beleive so, since there are no restrictions on what you can do with your javascript, css and HTML.

2) So you have a usercontrol? Why do you want to place the scripts in there? I believe you should be able to reference the scripts using the full path of the site you're using. But I would recommend you to create the scripts on the filesystem instead of doing it through Umbraco (If that's an option of course). But in the master template I would place the reference for the javascripts, which I asume is something you need for your menu, right? I'm not sure what you do with your user control so it's a bit hard to explain :-)

3) +1 to what Rich posted above. Click the template and you can see you can add code etc. - And in the top of the window you're now seeing in Umbraco there is a menu where you can save the template etc.

/Jan

Dec 31, 2010 @ 10:02
    prachi

Hi Jan,

I have successfully installed Umbraco in my PC. But when I run my localhost I get the message

This application is currently offline. To enable the application, remove the app_offline.htm file from the application root directory.

I have searched for the file in my umbraco site but didn't able to find one.

Can you help me out??

Thanks,

Prachi

Dec 31, 2010 @ 10:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi prachi

I must admit that I have not seen this error before.

Are you sure IIS is running?

And what OS and version of IIS are you running Umbraco on? And what version of Umbraco have you installed? And how did you do the installation?

/Jan

Dec 31, 2010 @ 10:34
    Rich Green

I would check again, sounds like there is an app_offline.htm file in your web root. This file gets automatically generated sometimes so you may need to refresh your directory. Rich

Dec 31, 2010 @ 10:38
    prachi

Hi Jan,

Yes, IIS is running properly.

IIS version: 7.5

Umbraco Version: 4.5.2

I have installed umbraco through Microsoft Webplatform Installer 2.0

Thanks,

Prachi

Dec 31, 2010 @ 11:37
    prachi

Hello,

I have completely remove umbraco and again installed it. But now I am getting error as follows,

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /New_Test/install/default.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4927; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4927

Can you help me??

Thanks,

Prachi

Dec 31, 2010 @ 11:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Prachi

Just to be clear here. Have you installed Umbraco succesfully again or is this happenin when you want to install it?

The path you have posted seems like it's the installation guide that is giving you trouble?

Are you sure the correct permissions have been given to network service and iusr?

Have you mapped the site correctly in IIS and remembered to add it to your hosts file? (If you're running it on your local machine).

/Jan

Dec 31, 2010 @ 12:01
    Rich Green

Open up IIS, find the directory you have as your website. Right click it and select "convert to application"

Dec 31, 2010 @ 12:05
    prachi

Hi Jan,

I have successfully installed umbraco, and after installation when I click on Launch umbraco CMS (msg on the last window after installation) I came across this error.

I haven't change anything while installation, just specify the details which are ask me to fill i.e.

1) site name

2) umbraco application name

3) administrator user and password for database

4) database name, database user and password

Thanks,

Prachi

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft