Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• James Mason 11 posts 31 karma points
    Dec 30, 2010 @ 13:45
    James Mason

Best practise for using images such as background gradients, logos, icons?

Is the idea to manage all image files through the Media section?

I am a bit confused as I am so used to manually creating an 'images' folder on the server and linking to its files from my stylesheets. 

Thanks

James

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Dec 30, 2010 @ 13:50
    Kim Andersen

What I usually does, is to create a /frontend-folder in the root of my site. In here I'll store the images that's used in the layout of the site. The media-section is used when the users of the system want to show an image in an article, as a top graphic element etc. Because then the images will be picked using either a media picker, or just by using the upload datatype.

When you build up the site, and want to refference images in your stylesheet and/or markup, it's always good to know exactly where those images are stored. When using the media section the images are stored in subfolder with an id included. It also means that the user actually can delete the images in the media section, and that's not very funny if the images are used in the layout.

So I would go for a new folder in the root of the site, like you also mentioned with your "images"-folder.

/Kim A

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Dec 30, 2010 @ 13:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi James

In addition to what Kim is posting above I'd like to add another comment.

I totally agree with what Kim is saying. But if you're in a situation where you do not have access to the filesystem on the server and you're asked to update the design and you need to use some background images in your CSS then your only option is to do it using the media section in Umbraco.

In that situation I would usually create a folder in the media section called "System" and under that create a folder called "Images". Then you can create the images you need to reference in your CSS here and once the images have been uploaded you just click on the link to the image to get the path. It's a very cumbersome workflow but in some situationens it's the only way forward.

To not confuse the editors etc. of the site you can make sure they cannot see the "System" folder by restricting the access under the "Users" section.

But when you do have access to the filesystem do what Kim says :-) - You're absolutely free to save the images in any folder structure on the filesystem that suits your needs and workflow.

/Jan

• James Mason 11 posts 31 karma points
    Dec 30, 2010 @ 15:04
    James Mason

Thanks for the explanations guys,  nice to know the 'Umbraco-only' solution too :)

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Dec 30, 2010 @ 15:07
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi James

You're welcome.

Yes it's important to remember that there is always more than one solution to a problem. All dependant on the situation you might need to go down a less ideal path to get the problem solved. :-)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft