Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Jan 12, 2011 @ 17:50
    Connie DeCinko

Umbraco URL Alias for Media/PDFs

Has anyone come up with a good solution for creating short/friendly URLs for uploaded files, such as PDFs in the media gallery?  Currently if we want to provide a direct link to an uploaded PDF it must be in a format such as http://my.site.com/media/24550/mynamedfile.pdf.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 12, 2011 @ 18:16
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Connie,

One suggestion could be...

Create a new content page for each PDF.  The doc-type would have 2 properties: a media picker and the bit.ly URL shortener.

The template for the doc-type would contain a redirect to the PDF... something like this:

<%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/umbraco/masterpages/default.master" AutoEventWireup="true" %>

<script runat="server">
        protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            var currentNode = umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.Node.GetCurrent();
            var mediaProperty = currentNode.GetProperty("mediaId");
            int mediaId;
            if (int.TryParse(mediaProperty.Value, out mediaId))
            {
                var media = new umbraco.cms.businesslogic.media.Media(mediaId);
                var pdf = media.getProperty("umbracoFile").Value.ToString();

Response.RedirectPermanent(pdf, true);
            }
        }
    </script>

In a nutshell, you use the bit.ly generated short-url to point to the content page... which redirects to the PDF.  It might seem a little long-winded, but it would work with current tools.

Disclaimer: The code snippet hasn't been tested ... and could do with a little error checking (in case of no PDFs or Media nodes being deleted, etc).

Cheers, Lee.

Mar 21, 2016 @ 17:41
    Connie DeCinko

Lee, this works great. But how would I make the PDF open in a new window? I seem to be stumbling on the correct format.

Mar 21, 2016 @ 18:15
    Connie DeCinko

As usual, answered my own question. Changed the Response.Redirect to:

Response.Write("<script>window.open('" + pdf + "','_blank'); window.history.back();</script" + ">");

Since you are technically navigating to another page, you have to go back to the previous page to give the appearance you never left it. Unless someone has a better idea.

Jan 26, 2011 @ 19:21
    Connie DeCinko

Seems like a lot of work and awfully redundant to have to upload the PDF and create a document for the PDF.  Although, I could then add extra meta data which would make it appear more friendly in search results.

The other option would be a version of your code above, but a single content page that then looks up the short to long URL mapping in a database table.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft