Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jan 17, 2011 @ 16:00
    Jeroen Breuer

Dictionary items disappeared

Hello,

I've created several dictionary items in Umbraco and now they somehow have disappeared. They don't appear in the settings section anymore, but if I look into the database in the cmsDictionary table all the items appear to be there. Are dictionaries only stored in the database or is a part of it also on the file system? Anyone got an idea what might be wrong?

Jeroen

Jan 17, 2011 @ 16:09
    Jeroen Breuer

Since I still can't edit my first post I'd like to add that I'm using Umbraco 4.5.2.

Jeroen

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Jan 17, 2011 @ 16:09
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Jeroen,

Items are cached and it could be that there went something wrong during load (or save) and then it could be that all items are not loaded. I've seen this once on an install of a client. The UmbracoLog table gave me info what went wrong.

Cheers,

Richard

Jan 17, 2011 @ 16:18
    Jeroen Breuer

I've looked at the error log, but the error doesn't give much information:

At /umbraco/webservices/TreeDataService.ashx?rnd=2188b3554bd74bd1a9d9412c1608df1e&id=-1&treeType=dictionary&contextMenu=true&isDialog=false&rnd2=88.7 (Referred by: http://localhost:56081/umbraco/umbraco.aspx#settings): ;

If I try to create a new Dictionary Item I get this error: 

Server Error in '/' Application.

Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: 'Next'  Key being added: 'Next'

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: 'Next'  Key being added: 'Next'

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: 'Next'  Key being added: 'Next']
       System.Collections.Hashtable.Insert(Object key, Object nvalue, Boolean add) +9360699
       System.Collections.Hashtable.Add(Object key, Object value) +11
       System.Collections.SyncHashtable.Add(Object key, Object value) +78
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.Dictionary.ensureCache() +384
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.DictionaryItem.hasKey(String key) +35
       umbraco.dictionaryTasks.Save() +63
       umbraco.presentation.create.dialogHandler_temp.Create(String NodeType, Int32 TypeId, Int32 NodeId, String Text) +619
       umbraco.presentation.create.dialogHandler_temp.Create(String NodeType, Int32 NodeId, String Text) +48
       umbraco.cms.presentation.create.controls.simple.sbmt_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +234
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +118
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +112
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5563

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

The name of the dictionary item was "DigiTest" which doesn't exist yet. The "Next" key is the first row in the cmsDictionary table.

If I try to use umbraco.library:GetDictionaryItem with an item that exists in the database I still get nothing back.

What could be wrong?

Jeroen

Jan 17, 2011 @ 16:30
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Jeroen,

The error says that the dictionary item next is added multiple times in you database (that was exaclty the error we had). We deleted one record and restarted the app and that was a fix for us, hope it will work in your case also.

So check your DB for multiple records containing "Next"

Cheers,

Richard

Jan 17, 2011 @ 16:53
    Jeroen Breuer

I couldn't find a duplicate "Next" dictionary item, so I just deleted the only "Next" dictionary item, but that didn't help. Now I get the same exception, but with another dictionary item:

Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: 'Base.CopyrightNotice'  Key being added: 'Base.CopyrightNotice' 
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: 'Base.CopyrightNotice'  Key being added: 'Base.CopyrightNotice'

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.  

Stack Trace: 

[ArgumentException: Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: 'Base.CopyrightNotice'  Key being added: 'Base.CopyrightNotice']
       System.Collections.Hashtable.Insert(Object key, Object nvalue, Boolean add) +9360699
       System.Collections.Hashtable.Add(Object key, Object value) +11
       System.Collections.SyncHashtable.Add(Object key, Object value) +78
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.Dictionary.ensureCache() +384
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.DictionaryItem.hasKey(String key) +35
       umbraco.dictionaryTasks.Save() +63
       umbraco.presentation.create.dialogHandler_temp.Create(String NodeType, Int32 TypeId, Int32 NodeId, String Text) +619
       umbraco.presentation.create.dialogHandler_temp.Create(String NodeType, Int32 NodeId, String Text) +48
       umbraco.cms.presentation.create.controls.simple.sbmt_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +234
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +118
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +112
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5563

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1 

Still no luck :(.

Jeroen

Jan 17, 2011 @ 16:59
    Richard Soeteman

And you already restarted the site? could it be that there is an empty dictionary item in your db?

Jan 17, 2011 @ 17:02
    Jeroen Breuer

Yes I've changed the web.config and the exception still appears. There are some empty rows in the cmsLanguageText table, but that's because not all fields are translated yet. The cmsDictionary table has no empty rows.

Jeroen

Jan 25, 2011 @ 17:32
    Jeroen Breuer

Even after restoring an older database (which used to work) I still get this exception... Will try to restore to an even older database (without dictionaries) to see if that works...

Jeroen

Mar 24, 2011 @ 16:19
    Jeroen Breuer

After 2 months I now have the same exception again on a different website:

2198925                0              -1            2011-03-24 15:31:38.230                Error      At /umbraco/settings/DictionaryItemList.aspx (Referred by: http://www.../umbraco/):

2198924                0              -1            2011-03-24 15:31:34.863                Error      At /umbraco/webservices/TreeDataService.ashx?rnd=d0d02972dca94fcca7f63e88b981c998&id=-1&treeType=dictionary&contextMenu=true&isDialog=false&rnd2=82.2 (Referred by: http://www.../umbraco/):d

Anyone else had this before?

Jeroen

Apr 13, 2011 @ 14:15
    Jeroen Breuer

And now it happend on a third website. Any help would be really appreciated!

Jeroen

Apr 13, 2011 @ 14:35
    Jeroen Breuer

In this third situation I found a duplicate item. After deleting it and recycling the AppPool the dictionary items work again :).

Jeroen

• Gerty Engrie 130 posts 489 karma points c-trib
    Apr 13, 2011 @ 16:21
    Gerty Engrie

Yes, duplicate dictionaryitems! Just track down the duplicate, remove it and all should be ok again :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft