Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Duncan 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 19, 2011 @ 17:26
    Duncan

Umbraco resolves a URL to relative when it is in fact a seperate domain

Hi, I'm using Umbraco v4.5.2 and have a strange issue with URL's. 

When I use the WYSIWYG editor to insert hyperlinks and enter an absolute URL, the URL is converted to a relative path if the URL begins with the domain name of my site.  That's all great and I'm happy for it to do so.  An example of the issue I have is:

Say my domain name is www.abc.com and I want to link to www.abc.com.au it treats this as a URL from the same site and the resulting link is "/.au"

I first though this was the WYSIWYG that was responsible for the behaviour and looked at the "convert_url" and "remove_script_host" settings in TinyMce, but I am now wondering if it gets converted when the page is saved.

This has me totally stumped, so if anyone can shed any light on what causes this behaviour and how to overcome it, I would appreciate it.

• MrFlo 159 posts 403 karma points
    Jan 25, 2011 @ 15:48
    MrFlo

Did you find a solution ? I have the same problem and I don't want to transform all url in absolute one like in that post: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/7315-Full-url-issue-with-insert-image

Any ideas ?

By the way in the new version I can not find this setting in tiny mce: remove_script_host Where is it  ?

• Duncan 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 25, 2011 @ 16:12
    Duncan

I haven't found a solution to this yet.  My temporary work around was to create a specific xslt macro for the link in question, to force the url to be absolute.  As I only had 2 instances of this issue in my site, this was acceptatble as a temporary measure. The issue is that my client could unwittingly come across this in the future and not realise that the link becomes corrupt.

I haven't come up with any more ideas on this yet.  If I do I'll post them here.

Which version are you using?  The settings for tiny mce can be found in \umbraco_client\tinymce3\tiny_mce.js.  I'm not convinced that tiny mce is the cause of this behaviour.  I think that Umbraco strips the url when the page is saved.  I could be wrong here, but that's my gut feel.

Jan 25, 2011 @ 16:27
    MrFlo

I'm using the last version 4.6.1 the JS file is compressed and there is no config in there.

But I think you are right, the url is removed after saving. My problem is that I need to do a page with ad server url like this: adserver.url?url=http://www.mydomain.com/mypage.aspx

And it strips the url inside the querystring !! Umbraco should let the user choose to strip or not the domain...

Jan 25, 2011 @ 16:33
    MrFlo

My workaround is to url encode the querystring: http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mydomaine.com

It works but I don't want to have this behavior when I am saving text from tiny mce!

• Duncan McDougall 35 posts 62 karma points
    May 23, 2011 @ 17:50
    Duncan McDougall

Hi from another Duncan with exactly the same issue.

Has anyone found a decent solution? I'm also having trouble with .com displaying .com.au links. The only workaround I've found so far is missing out the www in the link.

However, since my troublesome site is managed by a client and multiple employees, I'm keen to fix this rather than send out a note to the client to remind them not to include the www when using pointing to pages on abc.com.au.

Cheers,

Duncan M

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft