Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• organic 108 posts 157 karma points
    Feb 08, 2011 @ 23:38
    organic

Splash page on one site of multi-site install

I want to serve a splash page before entering one of two sites that are part of the same 4.5.2 install on IIS7.  Because I only want to do this for one site I can't just add a 'Default.htm' to be served before 'Default.aspx' because it will be served for both sites.  Has anyone tried to solve this problem before?

• Peter Gregory 408 posts 1614 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Feb 09, 2011 @ 00:22
    Peter Gregory

Are you using the manage Hostname option to attach the host names to the sites?

Why dont you just have the splash as the first node in site 1?   The sites should not effect one another if you have the flag

false

Set in the /config/umbracosettings.config file.

So you structure should look something like this.

+Content
       |
       +--Splash
       |    |
       |    +Site 1 homepage
       |
       +--Site 2 Homepage

• Christer Josefsson 55 posts 93 karma points
    Feb 09, 2011 @ 16:54
    Christer Josefsson

Peter´s solution seems to be the way ot go here. Or you could try to convince the customer it´s bad practise using splash pages. I my self find them terribly annoying and I don´t think I´m alone...

• organic 108 posts 157 karma points
    Feb 09, 2011 @ 18:30
    organic

Yes, I'm using 'Manage Hostname's for each site's root node.  Did you mean to say that the sites should not affect each other if 'useDomainPrefixes = true', not false?

So after moving Site 1 under the Splash page I have to add the Hostname settings to the Splash page and that's it?  Do I need to remove them from Site 1 root node?

Christer, I DID tell them how bad an idea I thought it was to have a splash page, after all, they are already in complete control of the site content and can put the 'ad' front and center if they want.

Thanks guys.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft