Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Feb 16, 2011 @ 12:50
    Kyle Skrinak

Best practice for uploading MS SQL database to host

My host will only allow me to upload ms sql 2005/2008 changes via the "Import and Export Data" utility in 2008 r2. Restoring dumps has a $5 charge, something I'd rather avoid. While I have had success this way (firstly by wiping all tables out prior to upload, btw) I have the error noted here at the old forum: http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf_postst8661_Cannot-create-new-nodes-or-publish.aspx which tells me that the IED utility doesn't do a complete import.

What should I consider, outside of switching hosts?

Thanks!

Feb 16, 2011 @ 14:55
    Kyle Skrinak

There are so many more vagueries with ms sql versus mysql; for the better, no doubt, but it complicates these "little" tasks. I just found out that I can simply do a "restore" albeit with tech's help, for gratis, via ms sql studio manager. They don't publish their ms sql server connections, so the script wizard is no help. So, I remain curious, but can safely move on to other fronts, like wrapping this project up.

• tentonipete 78 posts 223 karma points
    Apr 26, 2012 @ 23:19
    tentonipete

i had a similar problem with one of my client's own hosts. i used the sql export wizard to create a script from my local database which i could then run via sql management studio against a fresh database on the destination server.

The SQL Publishing wizard is a part of SQL server 2008 and is located here:

Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Publishing\1.4\SqlPubWiz.exe

I know you posted this ages ago and it's probably sorted now, but if someone is searching for similar then they will hopefully come across this answer!

Apr 27, 2012 @ 01:10
    Kyle Skrinak

tentonipete: thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it tomorrow.

Apr 27, 2012 @ 14:29
    tentonipete

cool. make sure you do it on an empty database on the destination server.

May 01, 2012 @ 20:43
    Kyle Skrinak

tentonipete : I was all excited to check it out. Turns out that my version, 2008 sqlexpress doesn't support this feature. It's times like that that I dearly miss using MySQL or MariaDB.

Thanks,
    Kyle 

May 01, 2012 @ 21:17
    tentonipete

there may be some other options in express for scripting the database. The utility I mentioned earlier gives you a nice interface for generating a script that contains schema and data. I'm pretty sure there will be a way in sqlexpress to do this too.

May 01, 2012 @ 22:41
    Kyle Skrinak

Sigh. I did a second check. I used WebPI to install a MS SQL Tools package which dumped more stuff on my machine, but no sqlpubwiz.exe to be found.

May 02, 2012 @ 23:14
    tentonipete

this answer might help. just remember to include the data like one of the comments says

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1162339/script-entire-database-sql-server

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft