Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig Taylor 29 posts 69 karma points
    Feb 16, 2011 @ 17:14
    Craig Taylor

Hiding root node from URL path

Not sure if this is even possible, but wanted to run this by you guys first.

I have a client that is asking that we remove the top level node from showing up in the URL.  My structure has two root nodes under "Content", one for English content and one for Spanish content.

For example: http://myclientsURL/en/contact-us

For (reportedly) SEO purposes, they want to make everything have the shortest possible path.  They would rather see the URL above as http://myclientsURL/contact-us.  I don't think it makes much difference at this level, but when you start adding sub-folders onto the URL, it gets longer and they would prefer not to see this "en" node at all.  They don't care if it is shown for Spanish. (at least they don't care right now)

The site has already been created, so re-work would have to go into it in order to pull all those nodes from under the "en" node.  (but I think this could be done to achieve what they are asking for)

We've also considered IIS rewriting, but we'd have to rewrite URLs both incoming and outgoing. (Meaning that whenever Umbraco generates a URL, it needs to remove the "en" tag as well)  My infrastructure guys are saying this will be more trouble than it's worth.

Our SEO people say that it doesn't really make much difference if that node is displayed or not, but the client has their own SEO people who think differently.

Is there some other way that I am not considering to accomplish this request?

Thanks!
    Craig

Feb 16, 2011 @ 17:17
    Craig Taylor

Wait, I just found "umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath."  If this works, I'll be very happy. :)

-Craig

Feb 16, 2011 @ 17:21
    Craig Taylor

Ha, I feel silly now.  This looks like it's working so far.  

It's always like that right?  Look at something for forever, finally give up and post and then find the answer right away.

Thanks anyways!
    Craig

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft