Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David F. Carr 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 16, 2011 @ 20:20
    David F. Carr

Can't Add Top-Level Pages or Move Pages

I'm getting hung up on some very basic things with creating a site structure. Using your Starterkit and making some changes to CSS and divs, I was able to make the template match the styles of the static site I'm replacing. I've edited some of the sample pages. However, when I try to add more top-level pages (ones that should be shown on the menu), I'm getting stuck.

The Starterkit sample site has this structure:

Business Site

> Company News

> > Company News items

> Blog

>> Blog Items

> Overview

> Contact Us

If I right-click on Business Site and choose Create, I get the create dialog box, but the drop-down list for Choose Document Type is empty - nothing to select.

I can right-click on one of the other top-level pages such as Contact Us and create a Textpage document, but what I get is a sub-page of Contact Us. If I try to move that page to the top level of the hierarchy, under Business Site, I get an error message: The current node is not allowed under the chosen node because of its type

Now, the content type for this item is Textpage, and I can see that the existing pages such as Contact Us that are under the Business Site node are also Textpage content type. So what's not being allowed and why?

Unfortunately, the documentation mostly seems to be limited to saying that all these things will be "easy." Most of my CMS experience is with WordPress. I can see that Umbraco has some nice features, allowing you to do things within the UI that would require modifying template files in WordPress. But I'm pretty frustrated at not being able to figure out how to get the basic things to work.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 16, 2011 @ 20:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi David

I can understand you are a bit frustrated feeling stuck, so let's try to see if we can provide you with some help here :-)

I suppose the installation you're testing on is an installation that is running on your local machine, right? Otherwise I would love to hear a bit more about your setup.

When you're logged into Umbraco you have probably noticed that there are 6 different sections available in the lower left corner in the back office. By now I guess you're pretty familiar with the "Content" section.

I'm wondering if you have been looking at the "settings" section as well. Because it's a bit odd that you're not able to create new sites under the level 1 node in the tree.

However what you need to do is to go to the settings section and go to the document types folder. Here you can see the document types the site consists of and you can see what document types are set as master document types and, which inherit from the master document type.

I must admit that I can't remember the name of the "root" document type in the starter kit in question, but on all the document type there is a "structure" tab where you can select, which document types are allowed to be created under it. Once you placed a check in the "Textpage" option and hit save you should be able to create textpages under the level 1 node of your site.

I hope this makes sense and helps you out.

/Jan

• David F. Carr 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 17, 2011 @ 14:17
    David F. Carr

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Solved the problem pretty quickly once I knew where to look.

Seems like there is an error in that Starterkit template set that should be fixed, however. I don't think the sysadmin who set it up for me had made any changes to the defaults, but the Homepage datatype was set to not accept any sub-pages - Textpage was not checked on the structure tab. There were other Textpages underneath it, which I assume were part of the default setup, but the system wouldn't let me add any because of this setting.

Anyway, it's fixed, and I'm much happier now.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 19, 2011 @ 21:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi David

Happy to hear you got it fixed. It's hard to say what has been going on. But if others experience the same thing then it should be filed as a bug on codeplex for sure. But I guess there will be more people reporting this if it turns out it's a comon issue.

I hope you enjoy using Umbraco :-)

/Jan

• Lincoln Vu 8 posts 29 karma points
    Jun 05, 2012 @ 19:49
    Lincoln Vu

For those who use Umbraco that comes with Microsoft Web Matrix like me, that setting is under Settings > Document Types > Homepage. Select Structure tab like Jan said above, and check Textpage as Allowed child nodetypes

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft