Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Yates 32 posts 86 karma points
    Mar 01, 2011 @ 15:37
    Paul Yates

Best way of storing documents

Hi

I'm really new to umbraco, so sorry if this is a real dumbass question!  I have a structure of file system documents (various file types .doc .pdf .msp etc) that i want to provide links to download.

I couldn't figure out a good way of doing this using the Content section (it doesnt seem to be built for document management) however i managed it using the Media section.  Works nicely actually, i just use a couple of different xslt's to fish out different sets of media content.

The problem now is i cant seem to secure the Media section like i can secure the Content section.  So if a user can guess a url then he doesn't have to login.  This make me think i've done something wrong in principle (Media should only ever be for public data?)

Is there a best-practice way of doing this?

Thanks

Paul

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Mar 01, 2011 @ 16:18
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Paul,

I'm working on a Media protect package. This should be out really soon (only need to finisch the documentation) which allows you to secure media as easy as you would secure documents. When the user guesses the url, the user will be redirected to a login screen instead of displaying the media. Below you find  a screenshot

This package will be a commercial package and it will cost 99 euro per domain.

Richard

• Paul Yates 32 posts 86 karma points
    Mar 02, 2011 @ 15:53
    Paul Yates

Thanks Richard

Looks like this will indeed be the way we will go (not had any other answers so i guess there isnt much choice!)

Is there a way of being notified of new packages?  Apart from presumably checking Developer\Packages\Umbraco Packages Repository  every day...

Cheers

Paul

Mar 03, 2011 @ 08:20
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Paul,

I will post a comment to this thread when it's released. And I subscribed to the Projects rss feed that way I get notified when a new package is uploaded.

Cheers,

Richard

Mar 25, 2011 @ 09:52
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

The package is released and a trial can be downloaded here.

Cheers,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft